AMD Ryzen, EPYC 5~6% Faster Out-Of-The-Box With Linux 5.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Oh yeah, journalctl -b-1 -k (previous boot, kernel logs) is so cryptic, so weird.

If you do not know what to look for, how would you look for it in plain-text logs?
    Well, that is cryptic intelfx, though I learned of it over time. However in this case it didn't yield any errors, though the log was short.

In any case, in the past you could go through log directories looking at the last update time for various log files, with easy to understand names, to find the last entry and/or error.

But unfortunately journalctl has turned logs into something like the Windows registry, making them unnecessarily complicated and difficult to browse.

Comment

Originally posted by fanbelt View Post
      Is there any chance of these patches being backported to 5.10? I really hope so because many people (myself included) jump from LTS release to LTS release.
      Dunno about 5.10, but the performance gain is significant enough that I bet Red Hat brings it to their 3.10 and 4.18 kernels.

Comment

we need more amd now..... full Ridiculous Speed now!

Comment

Originally posted by set135

The pros and cons of journald aside, you can still run a conventional logger like syslog-ng and have your broken out text file logs. (Then you can tell journald to make 'Storage=volatile' in its config so that it does not write to disk.) Then you can still avail yourself of the features of journalctl, or just ignore it. Probably there is a wiki/howto out there for whatever distro you favor.
          Oh wow, I didn't know that Guest. Thank you for the information.

I run Arch on my workstation and Manjaro on my home theater and looked up the syslog-ng wiki, but unfortunately it's quite difficult to setup, and if not done correctly can cause substantial problems. So for now I'll have to live with journald. However it's nice to know I have options if I ever have to do some serious debugging.

But I'm an old retired embedded system designer and do my best not to wrestle with operating systems anymore, and especially not to fight with systemd! And by the way, I like systemd, in fact journald is one of the few things I abhor. But as is often said, sometimes you just have to take the bad with the good

Comment

Originally posted by extremesquared View Post
            All these improvements *just* missing Debian 11 cutoffs bode well for the stability of Debian 12.
            cmon, debian users are accustomed to getting stuff late

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              But I have to admit that since the advent of journalctl I often can't find anything, as you usually have to know what to look for and issue a command with cryptic options to find it.
              even clueless people can cat all journal and use their favorite grep
              Of course I can't file a bug with no logs
              you are missing something more important than logs

Comment

In any case, in the past you could go through log directories looking at the last update time for various log files, with easy to understand names, to find the last entry and/or error.
                what other databases you access via understandable names and last update times?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  even clueless people can cat all journal and use their favorite grep
                  you are missing something more important than logs
                  Ha!

At first I thought you must be upset about something pal666, but after looking through your comment history I see you just enjoy trolling on Phoronix forums.

Which is odd, but fine.

So have fun and troll to your hearts content

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post

PS. Yes I know about Ryzen Pro having ECC support, but 1) that's OEM only, and 2) there are zero OEM's selling it with ECC enabled.
                    I know you didn't ask, but there is Asrock Rack for DIY. https://www.asrockrack.com/general/p...Specifications

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      If only AMD would release some Xeon E3 competitors. EPYC 5000 anyone? The current 3000 and 7000 series naming certainly leaves that possibility open. It sure would be nice to have some socketed EPYC options in the 45w, 65w, 95w range, something that could replace the Opteron 4000 series. For many applications, official ECC support is a must, so Xeon E3 is the only option in this market right now.

PS. Yes I know about Ryzen Pro having ECC support, but 1) that's OEM only, and 2) there are zero OEM's selling it with ECC enabled.
                      Some consumer AM4 motherboards come with ECC functionality, maybe those could be an option for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X