No announcement yet.

The AMD Zen 2 / Zen 3 Performance Fix For Linux 5.11 Has Landed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So um, anyone wanna explain why this patch is causing my 5800X's core frequency to be reported as 6GHz? Yes. Seriously.

Comment

Benchmark results for a To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M. with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X processor.

Base Frequency: 6.0 GHz.

Code:
      cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i mh
      cpu MHz : 6004.296
      cpu MHz : 5544.140
      cpu MHz : 4412.129
      cpu MHz : 5239.843
      cpu MHz : 5083.984
      cpu MHz : 5852.148
      cpu MHz : 5391.992
      cpu MHz : 5544.140
      cpu MHz : 5700.000
      cpu MHz : 5239.843
      cpu MHz : 5083.984
      cpu MHz : 5852.148
      cpu MHz : 5000.680
      cpu MHz : 5391.992
      Wtf.

Comment

Yeah I've confirmed at this point that this patch breaks shit on Zen 3. Base clock is reported as 6.0GHz. /proc/cpuinfo and sysfs also both report core frequencies of 5.9-6.1 GHz. The original patch that was turned down and replaced did NOT have this issue. I reported it, the maintainer gave me an additional patch to try and work around the issue, and that patch forced clock speeds to run at 2.2 GHz, no matter what. I could set the governor to performance, I could manually set speeds, I could give it whatever load and nothing, it was locked to 2.2, and this time it was *actually* locked at that speed, it wasn't misreporting. Performance TANKED.

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post
          Yeah I've confirmed at this point that this patch breaks shit on Zen 3. Base clock is reported as 6.0GHz. /proc/cpuinfo and sysfs also both report core frequencies of 5.9-6.1 GHz. The original patch that was turned down and replaced did NOT have this issue. I reported it, the maintainer gave me an additional patch to try and work around the issue, and that patch forced clock speeds to run at 2.2 GHz, no matter what. I could set the governor to performance, I could manually set speeds, I could give it whatever load and nothing, it was locked to 2.2, and this time it was *actually* locked at that speed, it wasn't misreporting. Performance TANKED.
          What CPU? Is your CPU overclocked?

Edit: at least from posts above looks to be 5800X? I can try with my 5800X tomorrow, but presumably is either something odd with mobo or is your system overclocked? (Right, not to 6GHz but wondering if something there is going wonky.)
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Nope. Just using XMP, PBO and Core Optimizer (yes, I know XMP and PBO are technically not stock but they're not manual overclocking either). It's an X570 Taichi which has always shown everything perfectly and is probably one of the more commonly used X570 boards on Linux because it's compatibility is so good.

Like I said, the original patch you reported on works great and doesn't show this behavior. And yeah I know it's not actually running at 6 GHz because there's no way in hell (plus benchmarks are identical to when it's running at 4.7 all-core), but with the attempted "fix" patch clocks *are* actually locked to 2.2, so that's obviously unacceptable.

I'm on Agesa 1.2.0.0 as well, so I'm on the best Zen 3 BIOS/Agesa out there.

I've never seen anything remotely like this before on my 3200G, 2600X, 3600X, 3800X, or 5800X.

I went back to the previous patch that got turned down and replaced, and it's reporting:

Code:
            cpu MHz : 3800.000
            cpu MHz : 4495.531
            cpu MHz : 4312.464
            cpu MHz : 4891.525
            cpu MHz : 4401.037
            in /proc/cpuinfo and

Code:
            in sysfs.

Which works the same as 5.10 and all previous 5.11 release candidates (I've ran every single one).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

What CPU? Is your CPU overclocked?

Edit: at least from posts above looks to be 5800X? I can try with my 5800X tomorrow, but presumably is either something odd with mobo or is your system overclocked? (Right, not to 6GHz but wondering if something there is going wonky.)
              So I reported it to Rafael, and he gave me a patch to test, and the patch forced all clocks to stay locked at 2.20GHz no matter what (and yes they actually were at 2.20, it wasn't misreported), turns out there was an error in that patch, so he gave me an updated one to put on top of his other two commits (the ones that caused Zen 3 to report speeds of 6 GHz) and everything is now in working order again, so it does seem there was something wrong with those initial two commits, at least for Zen 3. The errors were showing in /proc/cpuinfo, sysfs, cpupower, and everywhere else you could think of. They're gone now after applying his patch from today.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                `schedutil` should probably be in the title, because like this it seems it's something to be excited about, where I'm guessing many don't use schedutil yet because of its still poorer performance.
                Yeah - does this only effect schedutil? Or would performance/etc still see a bump. Last round of benchmarks seemed to still have schedutil behind performance/ondemand.

Comment

Yeah it's only schedutil, I always use performance so I never really cared about this, that is until the "fix" for the issue broke frequency reporting on Zen 3, but it's been fixed now (idk if it's made it upstream but I reported it and tested out the patches and they did fix the issue and he said he would send it)

Comment

Originally posted by gardotd426 View Post

So I reported it to Rafael, and he gave me a patch to test, and the patch forced all clocks to stay locked at 2.20GHz no matter what (and yes they actually were at 2.20, it wasn't misreported), turns out there was an error in that patch, so he gave me an updated one to put on top of his other two commits (the ones that caused Zen 3 to report speeds of 6 GHz) and everything is now in working order again, so it does seem there was something wrong with those initial two commits, at least for Zen 3. The errors were showing in /proc/cpuinfo, sysfs, cpupower, and everywhere else you could think of. They're gone now after applying his patch from today.
                    What/where exactly is the patch?

And yeah, I sort of see how it became an issue. It probably takes the hardware-reported max boost freq, multiplies it by nominal_perf/100, and that becomes the software-reported max freq. While in reality the hardware-reported max boost freq is the actual max boost freq, and the nominal_perf abstract scale maps to the range from max boost freq down to some unspecified point below it rather than the other way around.

Can you point me to the discussion?
                    Last edited by intelfx; 26 February 2021, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

What/where exactly is the patch?

And yeah, I sort of see how it became an issue. It probably takes the hardware-reported max boost freq, multiplies it by nominal_perf/100, and that becomes the software-reported max freq. While in reality the hardware-reported max boost freq is the actual max boost freq, and the nominal_perf abstract scale maps to the range from max boost freq down to some unspecified point below it rather than the other way around.

Can you point me to the discussion?
                      It's already been merged into linux-next.

There's a link there to the bugzilla bug report, but it's just the original one about the poor performance mentioned in these articles on Phoronix, the discussion about this happens toward the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X