New Patches Posted For Bringing Up The Apple M1 SoC On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    It is a very hybrid soc, it has a lot of black box asic modules. Of course, it would be too laborious to expect developers to dive into using that directly, plus it is a bit too open and low level than a company of that grade would be willing to offer.

The acceleration is baked into their SDK APIs, if you use their platform APIs you get the performance, you don't need to do anything special, just relink your code against the new code.
    Your argument is that performance isn't real because it's achieved using a heterogenous architecture? That's re-tarded.

Needless to say, this won't work if you are linking against libraries that use general purpose code all the way down.
    You just made it sound like it's virtually impossible to link to "general-purpose code" if even emulated x86 apps get the benefits without recompiling them or anything.

The 8 core m1, which is really more of a 4+1 core, as the 4 small cores roughly sum up to a big core performance, that chip has about twice the transistors of a true 8 core zen2 apu. Twice the transistors, because they are put into transistor count inefficient purpose dedicated hardware, which is also where the power efficiency comes from.
    Yes, performance and power-efficiency come from the hardware. That's exactly what I was saying.

Yet people don't seem to be able to put 2 and 2 together... In fact having full control over both software and hardware is what enabled them to make such a custom and optimized platform with relative ease - it is easy when all the software has to run against just one specific architecture.
    Software optimizations just don't go this far. Such performance gaps aren't possible by using generic libraries, no, it would require very careful manual optimizations to make a single app execute faster. And it wouldn't benefit any of the other apps. And obviously it would only work on a limited number of computational loads.
    Last edited by curfew; 05 February 2021, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Hilarious the mental gymnastics being attempted to get around admitting the M1 is an excellent piece of hardware.

Comment

they were fare more a hardware company than they are today. They make the bulk of their profits on software and services.

They are poised to lose all of that if it suddenly becomes possible to get the benefits of their brand new soc outside of their walled garden ecosystem.
        On one hand you say Apple makes bulk of their profits on software and services, on the other hand you then continue by saying that people running some other software and services on the Apple hardware is going to make Apple lose those profits from software and services? How is that going to happen, if people buy Apple primarily because of the software and services? At least until now (I don't know enough about M1), Apple hardware was not that stellar, performance-wise, and yet people still bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post

You just made it sound like it's virtually impossible to link to "general-purpose code" if even emulated x86 apps get the benefits without recompiling them or anything.
          Well, most of x86 code is getting recompiled to the arm, likely on install or first-run, only part of the code if any at all is getting emulated. It's a translate-if-possible-first-then-emulate architecture

Comment

Dunno, doesn't seem like them to allow their hardware to run an os that is not their walled garden...
            They built a feature into the M1 macs to allow just that... It’s very much deliberate.

Comment

Apple build excellant hardware? I've NEVER seen an Apple user without a wtecked screen, or had to repair thier ugly-arse dekstop machines.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Apple build excellant hardware? I've NEVER seen an Apple user without a wtecked screen, or had to repair thier ugly-arse dekstop machines.
                Well, you just met one. MacBook Air 2015 and MacBook Pro 2020 working without a single issue.

I tend to think you're just trolling, however.

Comment

In my experience with Apple iPhone users (just those <10 around me), they suffer from broken screens a lot more than other smartphone users. They refuse to use bumper cases on their expensive devices and their reason is "because that would be ugly". Wrecked screens galore, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Fox View Post
                    In my experience with Apple iPhone users (just those <10 around me), they suffer from broken screens a lot more than other smartphone users. They refuse to use bumper cases on their expensive devices and their reason is "because that would be ugly". Wrecked screens galore, obviously.
                    Personal life bubbles mean nothing. I see iPhone's all the time with non-cracked screens in my town.

Comment

'Personal life experience' is called anecdotal evidence.

Pit enoigh tohethor, and you can start drawing some theories, see patterns etc. Syatistics kicks in, and means, aberagrs, margins of error so on.

It does mean something, and seemingly one persons town of iPhoners have a greater care for their device than another's town.

I've neen through dozens of towns and cities, and rarely do I see an iPhone withoit a crack. You generally hear them first, though. Pretty much everyone in my country uses a case for their phone however.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X