No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen 5000 Series Mobile Processors, Previews EPYC Milan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As chithanh mentioned, one big piece of news was that Threadripper Pro is no longer exclusive to Lenovo. The Pro variant is basically a single-CPU EPYC, with higher clocks and a 2 TB memory limit. Compared with the 3990X, it offers more memory capacity and bandwidth.

Anandtech covered 3 new motherboards for it:

As yet, no news on a 5000-series Threadripper. I'd imagine getting Milan (Zen3-based EPYC) launched is a higher priority.

Comment

I'd like a 5800U/5900HX based NUC clone.

Comment

I'd like an EPYC 5000 series. Something that replaces the Opteron 4000 market segment i.e. a true server/workstation chip with official ECC support, socketed, with SKU's in 35w-95w TDP range.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 January 2021, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          I'd like an EPYC 5000 series. Something that replaces the Opteron 4000 market segment i.e. a true server/workstation chip with official ECC support, socketed, with SKU's in 35w-95w TDP range.
          I don't understand this statement. I'm pretty sure no EPYC models fit that range of TDP. Also, the motherboard is going to cost you a lot, even looking past the CPU price.

If you want a CPU in that range, I think that limits you to the 65 W Ryzen models, or else you have to go up to 105 W. As for official ECC support, get a Ryzen Pro, which means you'll probably have to buy the machine prebuilt (since they don't sell Pro CPUs in the retail channel DIY builders).

Comment

The battery life claims for the 15W zen3 based apus are pretty exceptional, they match the claims made by Apple for the M1 macbooks. If this is true and there isn't a catch regarding the performance, then this should be a slam dunk for AMD assuming they can produce enough chips for the oems.

Comment

currently I use Dell inspiron 5405 on 4700U Renoir chip. The imprressions are bad so far. To begin with - Dell removed S3 suspend from BIOS , and seems that is not only Dell's fault. Asus and HP also have only "modern" s2idle available, and s2idle is not supported by AMD on linux. The bug is there for 5 month (https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1230)- but no much imprpvement on that. I either goes to s2idle and never returns back ( or wakes up once and dies on second suspend) - or using about 5 watts of battery pretending that it is suspended. Laptop that can not suspend - useless, and no performance or other "bonuses" from AMD can not compensate this main laptop functionality. Battery usage is also bad compared to intel. There are many reviews on web claiming that Ryzen have better battery life but all of them for Windows. On linux - despite all the power saving configs in place I manged to squeeze 5 hrs of battery in light web browsing. 5 hrs in late 2020 - early 2021 - come on, AMD. In fact - it is not taking much more power when in active states, but when idle it takes way more. I had a chance to compare Dell 5405 (AMD ) and 5401 (10 gen intel) with almost identical config (in fact it is even possible to swap morherboards between those models) - and intel idles on 2- 2.5 watts while AMD 3.5 - 4.

So from what I see AMD is a way behing Intel on laptop market for linux. Unless you use your laptop only on your desk and always pluged into power socket. I still believe that issues will be resolved soon and AMD will fix s2idle and psr (panel self refresh) which are not working on Renoir at all - so will keep this latpp for a while... But if not - that would be my first and last try with AMD no matter how great performance the internet reviews will show. For laptop battery life is the king, and 5hrs of battery for light web browsing in 2021 is nonsence.

Comment

so does this apu support av1 decode or not?

Comment

Will the new mobile processors support USB4 and thus Thunderbolt?
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Possible grammar issue:

Given the successes of the Ryzen 4000 series mobile processors and improving Linux support, very excited for them and intend to pickup a Ryzen 5000 series notebook for Linux testing/benchmarking.
                    Should there be a subject there...e.g. we are very excited?
                    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                      so does this apu support av1 decode or not?
                      Given that it's still a Vega-based GPU, I'd assume not. But, dav1d should be more than fast enough to decode in software, without cranking up the CPU fan too high. Unless you're planning on watching a lot while on battery, it's likely a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X