AMD Announces Ryzen 5000 Series Mobile Processors, Previews EPYC Milan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Ryzen 5000 Series Mobile Processors, Previews EPYC Milan

Phoronix: AMD Announces Ryzen 5000 Series Mobile Processors, Previews EPYC Milan

Following Intel's product announcements yesterday, AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su providing her virtual keynote this morning for the virtual CES 2021. Here are the highlights for how AMD is aiming to make 2021 even more exciting than their prior stellar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They are announced, and they are shipping in February.
    But will you actually be able to buy one?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post
      But will you actually be able to buy one?
      And in particular a device with dual-channel memory?

Comment

To be noted: the 5000 series (Cezanne) mobile APUs do not have the newr RDNA2 in them.

(I know that this is not news, but it can be confusing as they announced "RDNA2 in laptops". This not in the APUs themselves.)

I'll certainly be looking forward to next year's mobile series (Rembrandt) with RDNA2 and CPU improvements.

Comment

Still no mention of coreboot. ECC memory is supposed to be supported by the pro series but there is no market, boards might not even have traces for it, soldered ram also makes ecc impossible and the implementation is closed source so you would need to test ECC capability which isn't possible right now.

Comment

Well hopefully we'll see more laptops with dedicated AMD graphics, especially in the high end segment. With the previous gen, there were only a couple of midrangers.

Comment

will be there av1 decode for the 5000 series?

I hope they have, at least some models, with dual-channel ram too..
              Last edited by tuxd3v; 12 January 2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Given the interest and delivered products around the Zen 2 mobile launch, I don't expect a repeat of the awful Zen 1 'launch', where the first model out (late) was a piece of garbage from Hewlett-Packard (yes, with single-channel RAM). Instead I imagine ASUS and other companies with a greater performance focus will be in at the start again, and some decent systems will be in the market at mid and high end. There should be decent cooling, since the thermal requirements are the same as Zen 2, and while nothing stops buttheads using single module RAM on low end products, there are enough manufacturers that know better to ensure a decent range of choice.

I expect the bottleneck here won't be vendor stupidity for once, but chip supply.

Comment

Fingers crossed we see some reasonable portable workstation builds. i don't know why every laptop has to be a gaming laptop these days... And after the total lack of availability of their higher end lower power parts like the 4800U (thanks Lenovo!) there's a big gap waiting to be filled...

Comment

Well that show was disappointing.
                    • Since Raven Ridge three years ago, there has been no substantial improvement to the APUs for the DIY market. (AMD doesn't want DIYers to buy Renoir.) This is approaching almost RS780 levels of misery.
                    • Nothing about Van Gogh (will it come at Computex then?).
                    • Nothing about Threadripper 5000 (even the announcement of Threadripper Pro 3000 coming to retail was hidden in the investor notice)
                    • New graphics cards in 2021H1, which probably means Computex too.

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
                    Given the interest and delivered products around the Zen 2 mobile launch, I don't expect a repeat of the awful Zen 1 'launch', where the first model out (late) was a piece of garbage from Hewlett-Packard (yes, with single-channel RAM).
                    I remember differently. It was the Lenovo Ideapad 720S that was a total crapfest. Thermal throttling, only single channel memory, buggy BIOS, you name it. Yet it somehow saw constant marketing push behind it, and I suspect AMD's doing.

Same with an HP 15 laptop, I remember the cringe-worthy advertorial from Notebookcheck. It was the embodiment of what was wrong with AMD laptops before that: Poor screen, runs hot, short battery life. Again, I suspect AMD was behind this too.

Instead of promoting the preciously few good 1st gen Ryzen mobile laptops like the Huawei Matebook D, for reasons probably only known inside AMD's perpetually inept marketing department.

Comment

Working...
                    X