AMD Announces Ryzen 5000 Series Mobile Processors, Previews EPYC Milan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I specifically went for the 68Wh option. It's weight is more than 1.6KG which is on the heavy side from my perspective, my previous work laptop was a Macbook Air 13. It's also much louder, but I'm very happy with it considering I can actually run heavy workloads in minikube. After more than 2 years worth of daily use it's now sitting at 48Wh. I used to be able to stretch to 8 hours, but now it's just over 5 in an ideal workload.
    running 5 hours on 40Wh will give 8+ if the battery was 68 - so seems that 4700U consuming about the same on our laptos. Before that I used to have LG gram on 8th gen intel and 72Wh battery - that easily worked for 12-14 hours in office-web load with decent brightness and wifi-bt on. so seems that 14nm intel is much much better in terms of battery than 7nm AMD. So I am still wondering how all that "reviews" appeared on the net claiming that AMD is the same or even better in terms of battery life. What I see it is a way worse, latest 7nm AMD eating battery almost 2 times faster than old 14nm intel.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
      My 3200G rig (1TB NVMe drive, 32GB RAM, an extra 2TB HDD that spins up when needed) chews about 200 watts easy when playing a light game. I run it from a massive 280AH battery and 1000W inverter, and jees, I didn't expect 200W's from a 3200G system.
      Turn off all the RGB
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        That's not much bigger than a Pi!

As you probably saw, this case is 1.4L. However, it looks to have much better convection than most NUC-likes and is aluminum. I doubt there exist mini-ITX cases much smaller. Also, I think 120 W should be a decent amount of headroom for the turbo boost of 65 W APUs.
        There are a few mini-ITX cases which look sort of like the Mac Mini. I'm tempted to order the one that looks most promising, and get hands and eyeballs on it before buying anything else to go in it...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Turn off all the RGB
          I'm not turning off anything. Sacrifices must be made!

Seriously though, these thing's are pretty nice to play with. Poor old nVME though is waiting around sometimes. Never thought I'd see that!

I don't suppose you would know if there's a retail/commodity version update to the 3xxxG series on the AM4 socket pending?
          Last edited by stiiixy; 15 January 2021, 07:13 AM.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

My 3200G rig (1TB NVMe drive, 32GB RAM, an extra 2TB HDD that spins up when needed) chews about 200 watts easy when playing a light game. I run it from a massive 280AH battery and 1000W inverter, and jees, I didn't expect 200W's from a 3200G system.
            You can cut off ~15% watt by using PicoPSU directly from your battery. But thread carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post

You can cut off ~15% watt by using PicoPSU directly from your battery. But thread carefully.
              Yeah mate I was looking at smaller PSU's, but the cost was phenomally expensive. I could have just bought another battery to offset the 'savings'....so I did. I have two =D

I'd prefer simple DC-DC PSU's, but yeah. A topic for another day. There's a whole host of optimisations I could do of course, but work-work.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post

Considering how their entire keynote was focused on connectivity, media, teleconferencing, and how long it can playback video on battery, I guess, yes? Maybe. It would be shame if it doesn't. Big shame. I am afraid it will not have it :/
                I am also afraid of that..

Comment

Working...
                X