AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + GCC 11 Compiler Benchmarks At Varying Optimization Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very impressive.

When I am finally able to upgrade, those numbers make me almost want to switch to Gentoo just to compare performance differences.
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
      Very impressive.

When I am finally able to upgrade, those numbers make me almost want to switch to Gentoo just to compare performance differences.
      I'd love to have the time to do some serious benchmarking for work purposes between, say, CentOS/RedHat (which everyone in my field seems to favour), Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo and Arch. I tinker around in Gentoo on some SBCs at home, but it would be very interesting to see what sort of impact heavily optimised executables will have on my work, where even shaving off 1-2% would mean hours saved overall per year...

Of course, to really make it worthwhile, I'd need to do it on at least a dozen AMD CPUs and another dozen Intel CPUs...

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
        Very impressive.

I did it, I have 3700X and in 2020 I returned to Gentoo as my main desktop distro after some years on Debian (which I still use on my home server and various laptops).

Comment

Side question: can somebody please elaborate on the difference between the `-march` option and the `-maech` option?

Comment

Originally posted by mbar View Post

I did it, I have 3700X and in 2020 I returned to Gentoo as my main desktop distro after some years on Debian (which I still use on my home server and various laptops).
            What was the performance increase like - at least from your perspective? (I realize that you may not have done comprehensive benchmarks.)
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Wow, you've finally listened and produced some really interesting benchmark results of useful compile options

All that was missing was -march=native
              That would be the same as -march=znver3. Native is nothing extra just automatic detection of the right march level.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                Side question: can somebody please elaborate on the difference between the `-march` option and the `-maech` option?
                In case you are not being sarcastic: e and r are right next to each other on a qwerty keyboard

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                  march = Machine ARCHitecture
                  maech = Machine Architecture ECHelon

the later one enables some NSA, CIA ...etc specific magic sauce

Originally posted by carewolf
                  In case you are not being sarcastic: e and r are right next to each other on a qwerty keyboard
                  thats what they want you to believe

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

It would seem graphs are labeled manually, not from C(XX)FLAGS.

Comment

Finally, some benchmarks with "-Ofast -flto".

Comment

Working...
                      X