X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kruger
    replied
    Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
    If you trust your distro and software, mitigations=off FTW !
    Originally posted by juxuanu View Post
    As far as I know, there have been no reports of any personal computer being exploited by a malicious software taking advantadge of these vulnerabilities, ever. Does anyone know of any?
    I have all my computers with mitigations=off since I only install from repos or trusted sources.
    Don't you guys browse the internet? Because it was proven to be exploitable from JavaScript AFAIK,

Leave a comment:

• juxuanu
    replied
    As far as I know, there have been no reports of any personal computer being exploited by a malicious software taking advantadge of these vulnerabilities, ever. Does anyone know of any?
    I have all my computers with mitigations=off since I only install from repos or trusted sources.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    It is absurd how much the default mitigations cost vs. those on Windows, even on Zen CPUs.

Leave a comment:

• bobbie424242
    replied
    If you trust your distro and software, mitigations=off FTW !

Leave a comment:

• uxmkt
    replied
    Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    AES encryption, and context switch, ho my god >= 50% performance penalty!!
    With the number of cores per CPU growing ever since, there is less and less need to even switch between programs. (There is still the user<->kernel transition on each syscall, depending on one's interpretation of "context switch". However, I seem to remember TSS change/TLB flush was the expensive part, so program switch it is.)

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    AES encryption, and context switch, ho my god >= 50% performance penalty!!

Leave a comment:

• A Look At The CPU Security Mitigation Costs Three Years After Spectre/Meltdown

Phoronix: A Look At The CPU Security Mitigation Costs Three Years After Spectre/Meltdown

With this week marking three years since Spectre and Meltdown were made public in ushering in a wave of CPU security disclosures that followed and mitigations that often resulted in measurable performance hits, here is a look at how the performance costs stand today with various new and older Intel CPUs as well as AMD processors too. This article is looking at the current performance costs under Linux with the default mitigations and then the run-time disabling of the relevant mitigations for each of the processors under test while using an up-to-date Ubuntu 20.10 paired with the new Linux 5.10 LTS kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X