Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.11 Intel P-State Schedutil Tuned For Better Efficiency. Avoid Running "Too Fast"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.11 Intel P-State Schedutil Tuned For Better Efficiency. Avoid Running "Too Fast"

Phoronix: Linux 5.11 Intel P-State Schedutil Tuned For Better Efficiency. Avoid Running "Too Fast"

Last week the Linux 5.11 power management updates were merged while on Tuesday some additional new material was merged, primarily around Intel's P-State CPU frequency scaling governor when running with the "Schedutil" governor that makes use of the kernel's scheduler utilization data...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The last time I checked with 5.9, schedutil instantly caused worse frame time variance in the main menu of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which otherwise was completely GPU bound. For a stationary system it would need to be more aggressive in terms of upclocking, not the opposite...
    (And, needless to say, intel_pstate=powersave is of course still by far the worst.)

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
      /puts tinfoil hat on. Smells like a benchmark cheat baked into the hardware, compensated for on linux where we noticed it.... :j

So how does it behave on Windows? This is partly what I don't understand. Microsoft and Intel/AMD obviously work very closely to make this stuff work on windows out of the box.

Why does it need all this tuning on linux from Intel and not windows? Why do the CPU govenors / schedulers etc all work better for AMD / Intel on Windows ?! Anyone?
      I meant, the perplexing part, is considering how technical the linux community is, and closer to the hardware than windows, how the hell is it WORSE?!
      Just wait for the systemd_auto-power-cfg-daemon

Comment

Originally posted by bofh80
        Why does it need all this tuning on linux from Intel and not windows? Why do the CPU govenors / schedulers etc all work better for AMD / Intel on Windows ?! Anyone?
        I meant, the perplexing part, is considering how technical the linux community is, and closer to the hardware than windows, how the hell is it WORSE?!
        Probably because in Windows, the assumption is increasingly (and it's largely correct) that the user is non-technical and thus not interested in the nuts, bolts 'n' guts of the system. It has a large market share, so focussing on that will make the greatest difference for the most users. Also, closed source... which if you're going to tinfoil hat anything, means that corners might be cut and tricks pulled that would make open source devs scream in horror.

I'm nowhere near as technical as some on this forum, but when I work on some boxes for family (or at work, for that matter) I find myself asking the question, "How do you use this? It's so slooow..." and the user sees no issue with it. When I type, I want to see characters appear on the screen (in the terminal, or Word, or whatever) as close to instantly as possible. My aunt? She's happy if it appears within a second or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
          I'm nowhere near as technical as some on this forum, but when I work on some boxes for family (or at work, for that matter) I find myself asking the question, "How do you use this? It's so slooow..." and the user sees no issue with it. When I type, I want to see characters appear on the screen (in the terminal, or Word, or whatever) as close to instantly as possible. My aunt? She's happy if it appears within a second or so.
          Reminds me of using MS Word on Windows at work. It‘s so painfully slow with characters appearing milliseconds after typing them. How can anyone use this garbage with any pleasure? Makes me wanna scream.

Comment

Working...
          X