No announcement yet.

AMD S2idle Support For Linux Getting Squared Away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspend works great on my HP 15s-eq0355ng (292 €) and it is ok on my Lenovo Ideapd G50-45. Just have to close and open the lid again. S2idle is a nice addition if it's supported.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Yeah, the whole concept is garbage. WiFi is one of the biggest power consumers on a laptop, and as you say, the whole @#$%ing POINT of suspend is that it powers everything down to, yknow, save power. I really don't want the 200GB+/day of writes to an SSD that hibernation causes as the only way to work around this sort of stupidity.

Maybe rfkill can help enough to be a workable way to deal with things, but I'd much rather just have proper suspend in the first place.
      Yeah well, I am not gonna just shit on the concept. I am sure some people out there like it (like maybe if you use the laptop mostly in an office environment and benefit from notifications? idk). I am totally cool with it being supported as an use case.

I am just upset that they are pushing it as the *only* supported form of suspend. Removing the traditional S3 suspend state.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
        Yeah well, I am not gonna just shit on the concept.

I am just upset that they are pushing it as the *only* supported form of suspend. Removing the traditional S3 suspend state.
        And that's why I AM "gonna just shit on the concept". It being "supported as a use case" is one thing, and I have no problem with that. But when it comes at the EXPENSE of S3 - which seems to be the majority case judging by the comments - and is objectively massively inferior to that in literally every important real-world case, it DESERVES to be objected to strongly.

Nobody should be supporting manufacturers who are producing laptops without working Suspend in this day and age, regardless of what bull$#!t hipster excuse they use or whatever defective other forms of S3 they *replace* it with. So now this is another aspect that consumers have to return to investigating ahead of time, just like we used to have to when Suspend failed to work properly on a lot of them under Linux, when we'd finally gotten past that. sigh...

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Did it come with Linux or Windows pre-installed?
          It came with Windows. But the behaviour is the same in Windows, too. Regardless of OS, sometimes even the CPU FAN continues spinning for a while, when the system is supposed to be "suspended".

It's not gonna last more than 24 hrs, no matter the OS.

Comment

Working...
          X