Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X On Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance: Windows Looks Surprisingly Good This Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X On Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance: Windows Looks Surprisingly Good This Time

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X On Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance: Windows Looks Surprisingly Good This Time

For those curious how the AMD Zen 3 performance is looking between Windows and Linux, here are the first round of benchmarks with a Ryzen 9 5900X system.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

such a nice processor...

Comment

not a surprise since amd supports windows in first place and then linux, they can win the datacenter and server market but they need to improve their linux support

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        not a surprise since amd supports windows in first place and then linux, they can win the datacenter and server market but they need to improve their linux support
        they? Last time I checked Linux was an open source community project what is stopping you?

Comment

3950x is still pretty good, too ;-) https://youtu.be/7jWFsandOFI

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

they? Last time I checked Linux was an open source community project what is stopping you?
            lol another guy who thinks Linux is amateur project and not a paid one maintain with big companies for big companies, my area is webprogramming not cpu. trolls like you should get out some time

Comment

lol another guy who thinks Linux is amateur project and not a paid one maintain with big companies for big companies, my area is webprogramming not cpu. trolls like you should get out some time
              I'm not only doing Open Source Linux since 1996 https://t2sde.org/ the big cooperation, however, are not necessarily the best for lInux though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfqe1SYR2jk
              Last edited by rene; 11 December 2020, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Actually no - the testing priorities are probably closer to Enterprise Linux -> Windows -> Consumer Linux.

Or are you only referring to consumer Linux when you talk about "linux support" ? Asking because AFAICS the pattern here is that our OS support is comparable but some applications have slower code paths on Linux than on Windows.
                Test signature

Comment

I'm bummed out. I was going to buy a Zen 3 CPU even though my R7 3700X is already more awesomeness than I need, but they sold out so quick I missed my chance. AMD hit the ball so far out of park this time that they just can't make 'em fast enough! But hey, after all these years in the wilderness it's great to see AMD back on top of their game again.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Actually no - the testing priorities are probably closer to Enterprise Linux -> Windows -> Consumer Linux.
                    thats sad for me as beeing part of "consumer linux"

i installed fedora33 cinnamon/gnome3 on my mothers computer AMD-CPU+AMD-GPU and i had to disable GPU and go with software rendering to fix crash bugs. its a FX4000(4 core bulldozer) and HD4770 yes old hardware but still sad. (on my TR 1920X+vega64 all works perfect)

i really do not understand this "Discrimination" because if you watch steam statistic a average linux consumer is a much better consumer than a average windows user means more cores more mhz better gpu (higher vram) and so one. this means AMD does make more money on a linux consumer than on a windows consumer. (yes because of higher windows market share this maybe does not count for amd)

in fact linux people are the very best consumers for AMD but still there is discrimination.
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X