No announcement yet.

Apple M1 ARM Performance With A 2020 Mac Mini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never been a fan of Apple any thing. But I was watching a bunch of videos of people using the cheapest version of these with Davinci Resolve yesterday and my jaw hit the floor. These work better for that use case than the the Mac Pro. I have recently bought a new motherboard $500, CPU $500, RAM $200, and now I am looking at adding a graphics card. $900. Prices CDN. This thing will keep up with that hardware for most tasks and will beat it like a cheap rug in a number of others. The bonus is I wouldn't have waste any more time pulling my hair out over the tragic openCL support on Linux.

The bottom line is I have work I need to get done that is stuck currently because I can't edit 6K RAW footage in real time. If I am able to get a RX-6800 XT when the partner boards launch on Wednesday I will. If it is another vapourware launch for reviewers only then I will skip upgrading my graphics card this cycle and put the money towards one of these. It could be a single use device for DR only but if Apple can deliver and Linux can't I have no choice. Flame away.
    Last edited by MadeUpName; 20 November 2020, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      That video encoding performance is so terrible, and just proves ARM still has some way to go... :<

Doubtfully, if Apple locks down the machine.
      If they do indeed. But I've seen reports that secure boot can be disabled, so there is hope.

Comment

The results are fantastic!

Not being able to run anything other than MacOS is craptastic.

Zero documentation on the innards to prevent other OSes from utilizing the hardware properly? 1000 times worse than NVIDIA.

/thread

Comment

Considering most of the benchmarks were run through rosetta, the results are stunningly good. If all benchmarks were run with native arm code, it would be turning a few more heads no doubt.
          Last edited by alvinde; 20 November 2020, 02:07 PM.

Comment

I love these complaints about a Mac running macOS. Who would've thought...

Comment

Also over at the Register they have a short article detailing one performance enhancing technique Apple used for the M1. It's really nothing more than HSA that AMD developed for their FUSION APUs from the mid 2000's like Kaveri, Carrizo and Bristol Ridge, not to mention the Sony PS4 and 5 APUs and the various X-Bones APUs.

The SoC has access to 16GB of unified memory. This uses 4266 MT/s LPDDR4X SDRAM (synchronous DRAM) and is mounted with the SoC using a system-in-package (SiP) design. A SoC is built from a single semiconductor die whereas a SiP connects two or more semiconductor dies.

" SDRAM operations are synchronised to the SoC processing clock speed. Apple describes the SDRAM as a single pool of high-bandwidth, low-latency memory, allowing apps to share data between the CPU, GPU, and Neural Engine efficiently."

https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/...y_performance/
              Last edited by Jumbotron; 20 November 2020, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Crack it open, Michael, let's see the innards.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Crack it open, Michael, let's see the innards.
                  LTT did that in a video and they are mostly air on the inside. Think cell phone guts with a fan in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                    Bitches will bitch ...

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                      People complain about ability to run anything they want on hardware they purchase. Who would've thought...

Comment

Working...
                      X