Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD + IBM Team Up To Tackle Confidential Computing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD + IBM Team Up To Tackle Confidential Computing

    Phoronix: AMD + IBM Team Up To Tackle Confidential Computing

    AMD and IBM are this morning announcing a multi-year, joint development agreement focused on "building upon open-source software, open standards, and open system architectures to drive Confidential Computing in the cloud and support a broad range of accelerators across high-performance computing (HPC), and enterprise critical capabilities such as virtualization and encryption."..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tial-Computing

  • #2
    Is this OSS partner switch for AMD? Because Open Source and IBM now approximately equals to Red Hat. And AMD was/is only Platinum sponsor of openSUSE.

    Platinum sponsors of openSUSE


    AMD

    Silver Sponsors of openSUSE

    B1 Systems GmbH


    ,,,,

    TUXEDO Computers


    https://en.opensuse.org/Sponsors


    vs

    IBM Closes Landmark Acquisition of Red Hat for $34 Billion; Defines Open, Hybrid Cloud Future



    ARMONK, N.Y. and RALEIGH, N.C. — July 9, 2019 —
    https://www.redhat.com/en/about/pres...d-cloud-future

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post
      Is this OSS partner switch for AMD? Because Open Source and IBM now approximately equals to Red Hat. And AMD was/is only Platinum sponsor of openSUSE.
      I doubt it very much. AMD partners with everyone.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

        I doubt it very much. AMD partners with everyone.

        Zen success is result of making alliances with many other companies

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Peter Fodrek View Post


          Zen success is result of making alliances with many other companies
          Well, that, and like how they have deals with both MS and Sony and can work for competing companies without a conflict on interest so I don't think there'd be any IBM/Red Hat and AMD/SUSE conflicts of interests going on.

          Comment


          • #6
            This sounds like it could lead to more paid AMD Linux developers and greater AMD compiler and possibly compute optimizations. And whatever open source development they are doing should benefit the current open source community by potentially upstreaming their work or possibly creating new projects. Maybe I am wrong, but this could potentially be a benefit for all - not just Red Hat.
            GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Well, that, and like how they have deals with both MS and Sony and can work for competing companies without a conflict on interest so I don't think there'd be any IBM/Red Hat and AMD/SUSE conflicts of interests going on.
              To my understanding, the deals with MS and Sony basically just helped dump water out of the sinking ship, but didn't actually plug the hole.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                To my understanding, the deals with MS and Sony basically just helped dump water out of the sinking ship, but didn't actually plug the hole.
                I'm not gonna pretend to know the details, but one camp is using a FreeBSD based setup and the other a Windows based one, each with their own special features and whatnot and, I'm assuming, each side has special features they didn't/don't want disclosed to the other side so it seems like AMD had/has to walk a fine line between what they're capable of doing and offering and what the other side is getting/wants.

                Making a good product that helps save the company is unrelated to that situation. If they were afloat or drowning, walking that fine line wouldn't have changed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

                  I'm not gonna pretend to know the details, but one camp is using a FreeBSD based setup and the other a Windows based one, each with their own special features and whatnot and, I'm assuming, each side has special features they didn't/don't want disclosed to the other side so it seems like AMD had/has to walk a fine line between what they're capable of doing and offering and what the other side is getting/wants.

                  Making a good product that helps save the company is unrelated to that situation. If they were afloat or drowning, walking that fine line wouldn't have changed.
                  That is an interesting point...but I do not "think" it might be that difficult. The AMD hardware in Sony PS and MS Xbox are probably not anything like the hardware that will be used here. A guess, but I am assuming that the IBM/AMD venture will involve Threadrippers and/or Radeon compute cards, whereas the PS and Xbox most likely (I am not certain) involve APUs and/or Radeon graphics. It may even drive AMD to develop hardware specifically for this new AMD/IBM agreement. (Although that may create another issue if that hardware becomes only available for that joint venture and does not become available to the rest of us.) I also assume that the venture will involve Red Hat and it will be coding/programming/development under a completely different set of needs/capabilities than the BSD requirements of Sony and the windows requirements of Xbox. This is speculation on my part. I am fairly certain though, since I work in the corporate world, that there are non disclosure agreements (NDAs) between AMD and Sony, AMD and Xbox, and (or will be) between AMD and IBM. Those NDAs will have a definite influence on ensuring that any line, if it does arise, will not be crossed. If new hardware is developed, let us hope that it does not become an object of an NDA because that may not allow any of silicon development in the hardware be available in other AMD products.
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Maybe, just maybe, IBM can use some Radeon's technology to create an open firmware GPU and AMD can release some OpenPower CPU's ;-)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X