Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Project X" - Pure Open-Source Coreboot Support On AMD Zen

Phoronix: "Project X" - Pure Open-Source Coreboot Support On AMD Zen

Not only are AMD Ryzen 5000 series completely dominating in performance but they could soon see open-source Coreboot support as an alternative to the proprietary firmware/BIOS. Project X is an interesting effort around blob-free Coreboot/Oreboot support on AMD Zen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This could be really interesting for embedded devices like the R1000.
    Having an opensource boot for x86 (Zen) AMD could really bolster the embedded position.

Comment

Would this mean having the ability to minimize/disable PSP too?

Oh, by the way, this is the only Project X I know:

Last edited by tildearrow; 05 November 2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

CoreBoot is what PopOS uses?

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
          CoreBoot is what PopOS uses?
          Nope, but it's what System76-brand computers use.

Comment

I find this very interesting, will try to follow this and see how things turns out.

Comment

Project X... I bet that's the world's most common project name...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Oh, by the way, this is the only Project X I know:
                For me it means this now rather obsolete (since everything is h.264 or online) Java software to demux DVB transport streams: https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ProjectX

Comment

An open firmware is an essential piece that AMD should support sooner than later. For me this would be as well a reason to replace several systems. UEFI is one of the worst things that is enforced on every system. It is terribly slow and insecure. Plus many vendors refuse to provide proper support.
                  Last edited by R41N3R; 05 November 2020, 03:06 PM.

Comment

It would be a huge gamechanger if amd could be booted blob-free.
                    Right now x86 systems need to be pre-2008 (intel) or pre 2012 (amd); and modded, in order to respect your privacy.
                    Amd is playing nice with AMDGPU, hope to see a future where they support open source firmware.

Comment

Working...
                    X