Intel Core i7 1165G7 Tiger Lake vs. AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

I feel dirty by saying it, but have a look at HP Elitebook lineup. They might not offer Lenovo's linux support, but they do have expandable RAM and storage options.
    Lenovo used to have that either (at least for their T series). Have they stopped offering that?

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
      I want one of these AMD laptops, but I want them offer non-soldered RAM slots and other possible storage expansion capbilities.
      Best dev machine if you are able to buy one:

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Lenovo used to have that either (at least for their T series). Have they stopped offering that?
        Lenovo have stopped making T-series ThinkPads with no soldered RAM, it's either 1 soldered + 1 nonsoldered or no nonsoldered.

Now it is the L-series that is the only seried with no nonsoldered RAM (unless you go for the ThinkPad L Yoga devices, which also do not feature nonsoldered RAM).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          The tide has completely turned. Intel used to have the more powerful CPU with a weaker GPU, now it's the other way around (though the difference between GPUs isn't as big as it used to be).
          The next year's Zen 3-based APUs will likely fix the things on GPU front.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

I feel dirty by saying it, but have a look at HP Elitebook lineup. They might not offer Lenovo's linux support, but they do have expandable RAM and storage options.
            My problem with laptops is that they don't last!!!! As such older RAM isn't a concern, just buy the RAM you need, that will last the length of the warranty. Since on average that is less than two years one should be able to get the RAM allocation right. What hurts the most though is storage expansion, laptops never seem to have enough.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

My problem with laptops is that they don't last!!!! As such older RAM isn't a concern, just buy the RAM you need, that will last the length of the warranty. Since on average that is less than two years one should be able to get the RAM allocation right. What hurts the most though is storage expansion, laptops never seem to have enough.
              Budget laptops nowadays tend to have m2 and 2.5" expansion slots, because unlike the high end, vendors love to completely cheap out on those and sell things like 8 core cpus with mechanical storage. The silver lining is that you can easily fit 8 terabytes of storage in one of them below 500$ zen 2 laptops.

Those also tend to have a physical ram slot, because they just solder 4 gigs onboard to cut costs, then have 4, 8 and 12 gb options. You can put a 16 gig stick in there, get yourself 20 gigs of ram. Yes, more than half of it will run single channel performance, but the impact is not all that severe, plus for use cases that actually need that much ram, more single channel memory is immensely better than swapping, even on a fast m2 nvme drive.

Decent chance zen 3 mobile apus will support 32 gig sticks as well, and hopefully, they will move onto soldering a base 8 gigs, at least on 8 core systems, so say hello to 40 gigs of ram possible on an affordable laptop, that will not fall behind from could put in a desktop tower 10 years ago.

The big issue with those laptops is the display - it seems like laptop makers are still sucking up to intel, even when they have a better option now, and keep the bright and accurate displays 99% exclusive to intel systems. Shame!

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

When I read that, I was like "wtf is CVML, never heard of such, are those roman numerals?...1155 kinda, wut". CV and ML accel just never clicked until you clarified afterwards.

So they're getting something like nvidias tensor cores, or like SoCs with NPUs? (maybe they're the same thing I dunno)
                It is hard to tell at this point, but it will most probably support some new ML optimized number type, maybe something like bfloat16 and matrix operations on the SIMD units, as well as frequent DSP operations. At any rate, there will be a hefty boost to ML and image processing, and if the implementation is more generic, it may be possible to accelerate a slew of compute intensive workloads.

ASIC acceleration has been the "secret" behind apple's advantage over other ARM chips, the problem with it is that the design is constrained quite a lot, and yes it does accelerate audio, video, image and crypto, but it does so in a rather walled way - as a developer you are basically limited to what apple wants to allow you to do explicitly, rather than full hardware access. So it only supports a select few formats, algorithms and operations, and you are stuck with those. If you throw general purpose compute code at it, it is more or less in the same ballpark as 3rd party high end ARM chips, just a tiny tad better due to the slightly better memory subsystem, which was necessary to be able to simultaneously feed both the cpu and the fairly high throughput accelerators.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

What do you do with your laptops? Every laptop I've ever owned has outlived its useful service life (to me)! I've always cleaned 'em up, stuffed a cheap new HDD/SSD in (depending on year done) and passed them on to friend, family or neighbour who have needed a PC. I've got an old mobile workstation (can't really call it a "laptop" unless you want cooked legs) which is approaching six years old and is still fine. Aside from an absolutely atrocious battery life (and it wasn't all that great to begin with). It's been all around the world with me. I still use it, although not on a daily basis any more.

I'll admit that when I got a more deskbound job, I switched to an ultraportable - which sadly is a lot less sturdy, so I understand your point if you are talking about ~1KG ultrathin efforts.

As for storage, I'll agree there; flexibility in storage is one of the requirements I impose on looking at new systems. The old workstation laptop could take two M.2 drives (one NVMe, one SATA) and two 2.5" drives (7mm max for one, 9.5mm max for second). The ultraportable is something of a rarity, having two PCI-E M.2 slots. Sadly half the RAM is soldered, which isn't ideal, though.

Comment

Working...
                  X