Intel Core i7 1165G7 Tiger Lake vs. AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7 1165G7 Tiger Lake vs. AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U Linux Performance

Phoronix: Intel Core i7 1165G7 Tiger Lake vs. AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U Linux Performance

For the Intel Tiger Lake Linux benchmarking thus far with the Core i7 1165G7 on the Dell XPS 13 9310 it's primarily been compared against the Ryzen 5 4500U and Ryzen 7 4700U on the AMD side since those are the only Renoir units within my possession. But a Phoronix reader recently provided me with remote access to his Lenovo ThinkPad X13 with Ryzen 7 PRO 4750U (8 cores / 16 threads) for seeing how the Tiger Lake performance compares against that higher-end SKU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice! AMD is holding up pretty good in most of these tests.

Comment

AMD: CPU
      Intel: GPU

NVIDIA: no

Comment

I want one of these AMD laptops, but I want them offer non-soldered RAM slots and other possible storage expansion capbilities.

Comment

As expected, TL reveals its true color.

The bulk of claimed "IPC gains" actually come from new ASIC circuitry, which intel uses its influence to shoehorn support in the mainstream benchmarks. Better than nothing I guess, to accelerate certain frequent workloads, but that's not the same as actual cpu core performance, that's more of a "soc performance" metric.

Once you throw a general purpose number crunching scenario, you come to the inevitable realization that it is the same old barely incremental quad core.

Yes, the GPU manages to edge over current gen APUs, but considering it does so at 50% more die size and power budget, and suddenly that absolute performance metric doesn't look that good.

BTW, leaked AMD slides did already reveal next year will see amd release "CVML" acceleration as well. I suppose that's Computer Vision and Machine Learning, so we should see the same relative leaps that TL enjoys, just on a significantly better and power powerful platform than what intel has to offer for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
            I want one of these AMD laptops, but I want them offer non-soldered RAM slots and other possible storage expansion capbilities.
            I feel dirty by saying it, but have a look at HP Elitebook lineup. They might not offer Lenovo's linux support, but they do have expandable RAM and storage options.

Comment

The tide has completely turned. Intel used to have the more powerful CPU with a weaker GPU, now it's the other way around (though the difference between GPUs isn't as big as it used to be).

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

I feel dirty by saying it, but have a look at HP Elitebook lineup. They might not offer Lenovo's linux support, but they do have expandable RAM and storage options.
                You can make a mistake with HP once. If you buy that a second time it really is on you at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                  BTW, leaked AMD slides did already reveal next year will see amd release "CVML" acceleration as well. I suppose that's Computer Vision and Machine Learning,
                  When I read that, I was like "wtf is CVML, never heard of such, are those roman numerals?...1155 kinda, wut". CV and ML accel just never clicked until you clarified afterwards.

So they're getting something like nvidias tensor cores, or like SoCs with NPUs? (maybe they're the same thing I dunno)

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
                    ThinkPad L14/L15 Gen 1 (AMD).
                    I'm currently saving up for a Ryzen 5 4650U equipped ThinkPad L15, and the L14 appears to be the only 14" laptop on the market with nonsoldered ram.

Comment

Working...
                    X