No announcement yet.

The Current Intel Coffee Lake Mitigation Performance Impact With Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C'mon AMD, when are you going to release some entry workstation CPU's??? EPYC 5000 series soon please. Something modern to replace Opteron 4000 series. Until then, the Xeon E series has a monopoly on the 35w 65w 95w TDP workstation market where ECC memory is required. I hate buying these Xeon E's with all these mitigations required, but that's the only option today.

And no, Ryzen Pro is not an option, it's OEM-only, and none of the OEM's are using these for proper Workstations with full ECC memory support, from what I can tell, (they are mainly using Ryzen Pro to build budget SFF client machines).
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 12 October 2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Since moving our server farm to EPYC, I am experiencing a wonderful thing: no new 'CPU security mitigations' drop down Xen virtualization performance another 10%.
      The context switch overhead on Intel CPUs is effectively *killing* massive virtualization. Running 100 VMs on one server shown around 60% drop in performance with PTI and stuff on.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        C'mon AMD, when are you going to release some entry workstation CPU's???
        3950X not good enough for you? Wait for 5950X.
        If you want Opteron/Xeon replacement, see for EPYC, don't think TR would be good enough for ya due to consumption.
        ECC RAM? Yeah, it's there. Officially in PRO, actually in all the CPUs since Zen 1.
        I actually ran ECC RAM on Zen 1 and running the very same 2x16G ECC modules on Zen 2 as well.
        PCIe slots? Go for EPYC if you need hella amount of them, go for high grade desktop boards if you need pretty some, go for anything if just few.
        Don't know what else you need that you can't use desktop grade CPUs or EPYCs

Comment

Working...
        X