Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Reportedly In Talks To Acquire Xilinx

Phoronix: AMD Reportedly In Talks To Acquire Xilinx

While AMD is providing great pressure against Intel in the CPU space, it looks like AMD could be soon going up against them in the FPGA space too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure if it's the best move. Would be better to invest money in the radeon group.

Comment

Uh oh.... financial engineering is infecting AMD too now....

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable plan considering Xilinix has built their own ecosystem around deep learning on fpga. Imagine a GPU with a fast fpga included. If the XLA compiler infrastructure could generate code for those FPGAs, one could possibly run parts of the network on GP and other parts on the FPGA and share the same memory. Our configure the FPGA to provide tensor cores. Many things would be possible.

Comment

Having FPGAs on AMD's sockets isn't new. They did this in the Opteron times with their at the time pretty innovative fabric. I'm pretty excited about this as Xilinx is pretty darn unfriendly to open source software using their silicon. I'm hoping that if AMD does purchase them that we could finally get specs to build the open source FPGA toolchains that so far have only been possible with painstaking reverse engineering.

Comment

AMD is Ryzen!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself

Really though, this is a great move by AMD. Xilinx has a plethora of technologies that can be integrated into unique emerging AMD products.

COVID-19 and the trade war hurt them a bit this year, like most companies, so suddenly some financial outlets began spreading panic that they were less profitable, but sheesh, a drop from $3.48 to $3.35 per share is hardly a catastrophe.

In any case, that seems to have aided in AMD's shrewd move to buy them.

Go Team Red!

Comment

On the other side, imagine AMD producing ARM processors

Comment

They should invest $ to R&D. better GPU drivers on Windows and Linux will be fine

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post
                  They should invest $ to R&D. better GPU drivers on Windows and Linux will be fine
                  I have to say that my only remaining complaint, voiced often, with AMD is their failure to produce an Adrenaline GUI Linux equivalent.

And I will continue to complain until they do. However purchasing Xilinx is a unique opportunity and I think they're very wise to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                    On the other side, imagine AMD producing ARM processors
                    Liek with their ARM Opterons?

Comment

Working...
                    X