X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• geearf
    replied
    Michael isn't that a typo:
    Also in the initial Ryzen 5000 series is the 5800X at 8-core / 16-threads with 4.7 / 3.8GHz, 105 Watt TDP, and 35MB cache. There is also the Ryzen 5 3600X at 6 cores / 12 threads.
    I'm guessing it should be 5600X not 3600X.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Originally posted by atomsymbol

I agree that AMD processors made very good progress, but if we want to be realistic then it is worth mentioning that there is a non-negligible probability of Intel being faster throughout the majority of year 2021 (the last 3 of 4 quarters of the year) because of Rocket Lake.
    I don't care Guest.

Intel is, and always has been, a totally corrupt and evil corporation.

If it weren't for AMD we'd be spending $500 for a single threaded quad core processor today. If not more.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by jaxa View Post

Sounds like by the time your fun stuff jar reaches ~$900, Zen 3 prices will have dropped. I doubt they will stay at the launch price for more than 5 months.

If you don't need it anytime soon, I would skip to Zen 4 on the new socket. Only problem there is that DDR5 prices could be much higher than DDR4, and Zen 2/3 chips will be cheaper. But you get a new and exciting upgrade path.
    I bet the launch price will drop right around the middle of January. By then all the holiday returns and late shoppers are done for the season.

That's my plan. I was all set on upgrading my current system this year and decided to hold off another year since it still does 1080p60 for most games and there's a new socket with DDR5 right around the corner. I just can't justify buying into AM4 when it is "hitting EOL", y'all know what I mean, and a couple years of something new is about to come out.

But if I had bought into Zen 1 or Zen 2, I'd probably consider one of these until AM5/DDR5 lowers in price and let the early adopters get the early adopter kinks worked out.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 08 October 2020, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Then they don't have $50 to put into their fun stuff jar. My fun stuff jar is up to a whopping $140. It should be 4x that but I bought some Oberwerk 10x50 binoculars (they're awesome), some new winter clothes (necessary), and a Weissenborn that I totally suck at playing but thought it would be a good idea (not a good idea). I need to buy some different strings for it, but that's $15 from the jar that needs to get up to around $900 for me to buy the system that I want.
    Sounds like by the time your fun stuff jar reaches ~$900, Zen 3 prices will have dropped. I doubt they will stay at the launch price for more than 5 months.

If you don't need it anytime soon, I would skip to Zen 4 on the new socket. Only problem there is that DDR5 prices could be much higher than DDR4, and Zen 2/3 chips will be cheaper. But you get a new and exciting upgrade path.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

People drink more than $50 on their bar tab, in a single night. Either everyone here is completely broke or lead very sad lives.
    Then they don't have $50 to put into their fun stuff jar. My fun stuff jar is up to a whopping $140. It should be 4x that but I bought some Oberwerk 10x50 binoculars (they're awesome), some new winter clothes (necessary), and a Weissenborn that I totally suck at playing but thought it would be a good idea (not a good idea). I need to buy some different strings for it, but that's $15 from the jar that needs to get up to around $900 for me to buy the system that I want.

Leave a comment:

• brunosalezze
    replied
    Originally posted by pmorph View Post

How much would an i9-10900 cost if AMD wasn't around? Yep, that $50 is nothing.
    Not much long ago Intel was selling 10 cores for 1723 USD and quad cores for 370 USD.

Leave a comment:

• muncrief
    replied
    Wow, this is just amazing.

In less than 5 years AMD has taken us from the stagnant hegemony, and financial rape, of Intel to fantastically powerful 6C/12T CPUs for $299, 8C/16T for $449, and 16C/32T for $799.

All within 65W to 105W TDP.

I mean really, on second thought amazing doesn't cut it. It's stunning.

And anyone who has a complaint or doesn't like it is free to continue kowtowing to Intel.

I just bought an R7 3700X, and it's already more powerful than I need. But I'm getting an R7 5800X as soon as I can just to reward AMD for their fantastic work.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

People drink more than $50 on their bar tab, in a single night. Either everyone here is completely broke or lead very sad lives.
    Thank you for applying for the position of purchasing manager, don't call us, we'll call you.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
    So. Let us recap.
    Intel has been ***rape:ing the entire industry for decades with their gouging price-models.
    And when a competitor that _actually_ is doing an amazing job of kicking their asses... you decide to complain?

Hell no. I'll happily pay a $50 AMD tax over getting that perpetual ***rape from Intel.
    Balance. Karma. Call it whatever you want.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
    So it's a $50 uplift across the board compared to Zen 2 launch price which is disappointing, I was hoping for flat pricing.
    Because you paid for the R&D? I thought not.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X