Windows x64 Binaries Can Now Run On POWER9 Under Linux With Hangover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows x64 Binaries Can Now Run On POWER9 Under Linux With Hangover

Phoronix: Windows x64 Binaries Can Now Run On POWER9 Under Linux With Hangover

Windows x86 binaries can now run on POWER9 hardware under Linux with Wine thanks to Hangover...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

dxvk...in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      dxvk...in the future?
      POWER9 Gaming on Talos II over Gentoo 0_o

Comment

I bet the whole 6 people this applies to are jumping for joy right now.

Comment

how does this work? why is wine needed?

Comment

What's the advantage compared to regular wine + qemu-user?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
              how does this work? why is wine needed?
              It converts x86 instructions to POWER9 instructions. WINE is needed to translate windows syscalls to Linux ones.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I bet the whole 6 people this applies to are jumping for joy right now.
                I have 2 separate POWER9 systems, and I can't understand the utility of this for the life of me.

Comment

As a technical challenge, this is pretty cool.

As a effective means of getting Windows games onto POWER Linux, why?

As a way to expand the WINE universe, are there enough players in this space?

Honestly, I would be more interested in seeing MSFT recompile their PPC64LE kernel and see how well their WOW works.

They did it for ARM, they did it for Qualcomm. Why not for POWER?

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    They did it for ARM, they did it for Qualcomm. Why not for POWER?
                    Windows isn't built by enthusiasts looking for a challenge, if it doesn't make money then it doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X