Windows x64 Binaries Can Now Run On POWER9 Under Linux With Hangover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hiryu View Post

I have 2 separate POWER9 systems, and I can't understand the utility of this for the life of me.
    Now you can run holyc+templeOS and dwarf fortress for windos3 and get your fix.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Windows isn't built by enthusiasts looking for a challenge, if it doesn't make money then it doesn't matter.
      I knew that. No lollypop funding like they got from Motorola and Qualcomm for their respective platforms.

So I guess one way to look at it is to sell it for 10x more. Let SQL run in containers or use the NVidia Volta with NVLink as a compute farm, etc.

I don't think OpenPOWER would be interested because Windows Server is shrinking in the DC.

At this point it is just a thought exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
        Honestly, I would be more interested in seeing MSFT recompile their PPC64LE kernel and see how well their WOW works.

They did it for ARM, they did it for Qualcomm. Why not for POWER?
        because i don't care how their wow works

Comment

Hoping to see something around the RISC-V

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
            Honestly, I would be more interested in seeing MSFT recompile their PPC64LE kernel and see how well their WOW works.
            Meh, I haven't played since Mists of Pandaria, the whole Battle Pet thing was kind of lame.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
              Hoping to see something around the RISC-V
              You're first going to need some RISC-V CPUs that can compete like POWER can.

Comment

Working...
              X