No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen/Athlon 3000 C-Series For Chromebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing the Chromebook-specific designation means the SoC has the Chromebook EC and/or other peripherals built in?

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
      It's becoming clear AMD is not keeping up with demand for their chips on TSMC 7nm. Since these "new" 3000C APUs are revisions on the Global Foundries made 12nm Picasso dies (introduced Jan 2019), I'm hopeful AMD can make some meaningful improvements to these older designs for cheap devices.
      The Global Foundries processors are cheap to manufacture by now, have abundant wafer supply, and Chromebooks don't need the latest silicon. This is all about maximizing available production capacity for each target market.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        there are already AMD "NUCs" available.
        Can you point me to one? Do they come with an IR receiver? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
          Apple is switching to 5nm SoC's for their phones and tablets so there will be a lot more capacity available at TSMC's 7nm fabs
          apple is tiny doc user. some chinese vendor switching to 7nm will outweight apple's switch from it

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
            Can you point me to one? Do they come with an IR receiver? Thanks!
            Ultra-compact Mini PCs provide flexible, comprehensive solutions for a wide range of office, retail, digital signage and hospital applications.

I would like to pull the trigger on one to upgrade my HTPC, but I am going to wait until they come out with one that supports hardware AV1 decode @4k. As AMD is just getting ready to release AV1 decode on their RDNA2 cards I suspect I will be waiting quite a while. But it is possible the new 5000 series mobile processors will have it but it will be quite a while before that filters down to some thing like a mini PC that is affordable as a HTPC.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

Apple is switching to 5nm SoC's for their phones and tablets so there will be a lot more capacity available at TSMC's 7nm fabs. I expect AMD to replace all their cpu's and gpu's will 7nm or 5nm within the next 1.5yrs. Also i think that Huawei has been banned by TSMC so no 7nm chips for them either.
              Another reason 7nm may have been in short supply is fulfilling the PS5 and XboxX orders, I was lucky enough to grab a custom order Ideapad 5 14 Renoir earlier this year (July) but good luck trying to get one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post

Another reason 7nm may have been in short supply is fulfilling the PS5 and XboxX orders, I was lucky enough to grab a custom order Ideapad 5 14 Renoir earlier this year (July) but good luck trying to get one now.
                I suspect the reason is pretty clear, Renoir and frankly most of AMD's product line up has been far more successful than many anticipated. A lot of that is due to Intel screwing up yet again but in some cases they just clearly have the better processor.

As nice as these chips might be my biggest problem with Chrome Books is Chrome. If there was a model that can easily be upgraded to mainstream Linux I'd be more interested in these chips.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

Ultra-compact Mini PCs provide flexible, comprehensive solutions for a wide range of office, retail, digital signage and hospital applications.

I would like to pull the trigger on one to upgrade my HTPC, but I am going to wait until they come out with one that supports hardware AV1 decode @4k. As AMD is just getting ready to release AV1 decode on their RDNA2 cards I suspect I will be waiting quite a while. But it is possible the new 5000 series mobile processors will have it but it will be quite a while before that filters down to some thing like a mini PC that is affordable as a HTPC.
                  FYI: There have been some Asus Ryzen NUC models that don't boot Linux due to some UEFI issue. I would research this if that is your target OS.

It may have been fixed by now, but there was some noise about it earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

FYI: There have been some Asus Ryzen NUC models that don't boot Linux due to some UEFI issue. I would research this if that is your target OS.

It may have been fixed by now, but there was some noise about it earlier.
                    Thanks for the heads up, I hope that is some thing they are fixing. I was giving the XBox S the evil eye as well as it will come with AV1 decode and should be even cheaper than the PN50s but I expected I wouldn't be able to load Linux due to UEFI. After all isn't this the exact use case UEFI was created for to block us from loading Linux on a console?

Comment

Awesome. AMD platform needed something like that to penetrate within lowest segments.
                      I suspect it could make strides within specialized small cheap PCs ( multimedia, small server etc).
                      Hopefully it could attack the price bracket segment of AM1/Kabini...

Comment

Working...
                      X