Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Ryzen/Athlon 3000 C-Series For Chromebooks

Phoronix: AMD Announces Ryzen/Athlon 3000 C-Series For Chromebooks

AMD today announced the Ryzen 3000 and Athlon 3000 C-Series processors for use in Google Chromebooks from multiple vendors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    At the top-end is the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X as a 4c/8t 15 Watt processor
    Should be Ryzen 7 3700C there.

Does anyone know if by default, Chromebooks are using OSS graphics stack (Mesa/Upstream kernel)?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

Does anyone know if by default, Chromebooks are using OSS graphics stack (Mesa/Upstream kernel)?
      Thanks, fixed.

Would assume most definitely upstream kernel given their policies but no word what user-space components they are using. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were using Mesa.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

phoronix
        Clicking the image and then clicking the return to article link results in an Article Not Available page.

I'm not really into Chromebooks, but the desktop version of those Athlons look like they would make for a decent start to a HTPC or a system only running Firefox and LibreOffice. I wonder how much of a difference the 3, 8, and 10 GPU cores makes in regards to legacy emulation and light gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          I'm not really into Chromebooks, but the desktop version of those Athlons look like they would make for a decent start to a HTPC or a system only running Firefox and LibreOffice. I wonder how much of a difference the 3, 8, and 10 GPU cores makes in regards to legacy emulation and light gaming.
          There are people with a 2200G who seem to be able to emulate Gamecube and PS2 games pretty smoothly, and I think that has 8 GPU cores. If you're not aware, there are already AMD "NUCs" available.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post

They're indeed using mesa, here's the custom ebuild: https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...dia-libs/mesa/

FTR Chromium OS's userland is generally much closer to desktop Linux than Android's.

Comment

It's becoming clear AMD is not keeping up with demand for their chips on TSMC 7nm. Since these "new" 3000C APUs are revisions on the Global Foundries made 12nm Picasso dies (introduced Jan 2019), I'm hopeful AMD can make some meaningful improvements to these older designs for cheap devices.

I've owned a Ryzen 3500U laptop since January and for an internet/writing/emulation machine, it's been pretty nice. However once I got an unlocked BIOS, it was disappointing how badly power use shot up with faster memory. I had better luck with tuning timings and undervolting.

These C series processors might still be interesting if the designs come with larger batteries, decent screens, neutered(or open) embedded processors, and tuned RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by nranger View Post
                It's becoming clear AMD is not keeping up with demand for their chips on TSMC 7nm. Since these "new" 3000C APUs are revisions on the Global Foundries made 12nm Picasso dies (introduced Jan 2019), I'm hopeful AMD can make some meaningful improvements to these older designs for cheap devices.

I've owned a Ryzen 3500U laptop since January and for an internet/writing/emulation machine, it's been pretty nice. However once I got an unlocked BIOS, it was disappointing how badly power use shot up with faster memory. I had better luck with tuning timings and undervolting.

These C series processors might still be interesting if the designs come with larger batteries, decent screens, neutered(or open) embedded processors, and tuned RAM.
                Apple is switching to 5nm SoC's for their phones and tablets so there will be a lot more capacity available at TSMC's 7nm fabs. I expect AMD to replace all their cpu's and gpu's with 7nm or 5nm within the next 1.5yrs. Also i think that Huawei has been banned by TSMC so no 7nm chips for them either.
                Last edited by hajj_3; 23 September 2020, 04:30 AM.

Comment

AMD: Cheap but good APUs made on an old, cheap process for cheap Chromebooks where the component prices really matter. As long as AMD make some margin, they win - and they save their 7nm APUs for higher margin markets.

Intel: Expensive TGL processors made on a new, expensive, low yield process for ... expensive Chromebooks?
                  Yes, I'm sure Intel are providing lots of cheap old tech for cheaper Chromebooks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
                    Apple is switching to 5nm SoC's for their phones and tablets so there will be a lot more capacity available at TSMC's 7nm fabs. I expect AMD to replace all their cpu's and gpu's will 7nm or 5nm within the next 1.5yrs. Also i think that Huawei has been banned by TSMC so no 7nm chips for them either.
                    Huawei are indeed at the end of their TSMC fabrication days (for now), they apparently had a run on 5nm up until September.

They were hoping to use Mediatek 7nm SoCs, but that was banned as well. Mediatek cancelled 13k wafers a month as a result on TSMC 7nm, which AMD have grabbed.

Comment

Working...
                    X