Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Begins Teasing Zen 3 + RDNA 2 With Dates In October

Phoronix: AMD Begins Teasing Zen 3 + RDNA 2 With Dates In October

It's been widely expected AMD will launch their next-generation RDNA 2 graphics cards and Zen 3 processors in Q4 as they previously reported as well as leaks pointing to October reveal dates. Today the company is sharing actual dates for said announcements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope the CPUs will not be released with the same crap as last year because they were too lazy to test them with an up to date distribution and we had to wait for months for firmware updates and systemd workarounds.
    On the GPU side I try to keep my expectations as low as possible to not be disappointed by very late software support, no compute working, etc.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to their APUs, especially those 8c16t ones. I'd love to replace my current 2011 8c16t system with no built-in GPU with a 2020 8c16t system with a built-in GPU. The only problem I foresee with that plan is my current use of ZFS and ECC memory and how the APUs usually only support ECC with their OEM-only Pro APUs.

Comment

Round 3...if this would be a boxing fight AMD vs. Intel the referee would have to jump in and stop it because intel is already k.o. after round 2

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          Round 3...if this would be a boxing fight AMD vs. Intel the referee would have to jump in and stop it because intel is already k.o. after round 2
          Only if you look at performance.

By volume and profit they are still far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Only if you look at performance.

By volume and profit they are still far behind.
            Well because OEM's like Lenovo, Dell(!), HP etc are still almost all dominated by Intel. What do you think once the "stupid" customer gets to know that you can have the power of a 1400€ device for 1200€ as it is the case for the few available devices.

Comment

When Zen 3 desktop arrives, the benchmarks will make grim reading for Intel as will the price/performance per watt if the rumoured IPC uplift turns out to be true. I wonder what Cezanne will bring in the new year too ?

Comment

It looks like I need to plan on some system upgrades in November/December! I'm sure the kids will understand why their Christmas wish lists have to be scaled back a little bit.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                  ...customer gets to know that you can have the power of a 1400€ device for 1200€ as it is the case for the few available devices.
                  I wouildnt use the word stupid because you can only buy what is available.

I would also suggest (for laptops atleast) the ecosystem price difference seems to be much greater (though it may be due to OEMS scrimping on quality of surrounding components).

Comment

Shame. It's too late. But no wonder - they don't want to shame the consoles....

Comment

Working...
                    X