Clear All

• Weasel
    replied
    the start of 128-bit computing
    He's either a clown, or trolling.

Leave a comment:

• s_j_newbury
    replied
    I expect we'll be in an economic depression for the next decade at least, until a new economic system emerges which will be adapted to operate within the context of the converging bio-physical constraints we're now hitting.

To my mind, this will mean a lot of repurposing of existing tech with much less focus of new hardware on consumer products due to unaffordability, while high end will look to the best value performance options which may provide an opportunity for RISC-V and POWER with the "consumer subsidy" removed.

Leave a comment:

• c117152
    replied
    Even though I agree, historically making short-term predictions about computing never works. More importantly, as the x86 patents dry out there will be new x86 players and we might see a repeat of the early 90s' MIPS and ARM workstations failure.

Leave a comment:

• A Kernel Maintainer's Prediction On The CPU Architecture Landscape For 2030

Phoronix: A Kernel Maintainer's Prediction On The CPU Architecture Landscape For 2030

In addition to talking about code/hardware obsolescence from the Linux kernel, prominent upstream Linux kernel developer Arnd Bermann also presented at last week's Linux Plumbers Conference on the current SoC landscape and sharing his predictions for ten years down the road...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...CPU-Archs-2030
Working...
X