Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is It Time To Overhaul The GNU Dynamic Linker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The moment someone starts calling other people names, I immediately assume they are at "I know everything" ...

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      The moment someone starts calling other people names, I immediately assume they are at "I know everything" ...
      Dunning-Kruger Effect should be thought as an individual subject in school. Then people might not get fooled so easily by cocky Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Dunning-Kruger Effect should be thought as an individual subject in school. Then people might not get fooled so easily by cocky Idiots.
        That is a very good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by rawr View Post

Also for linking at runtime i.e. dynamic linking?

As far as I know this is only for warning about shadowing variables. I am talking about functions during runtime linking
          If you can hear this through the din, I'd give it a try. A few months ago I was working an open source geodata library that linked libproj.so, and was seeing (I believe -Wshadow) errors to the effect "/usr/lib64/libproj.so shadows /usr/local/proj-6.3.1/lib64/libproj.so"

The latter (proj6) was what I wanted, the former (proj5) was what I was getting, along with a raft of unresolved symbol errors. Took me a while to sort it out -- if that's what I've actually done -- but the "shadows" clue was certainly a help.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

SxS absolutely isn't bloat, it's kind of the opposite. Instead of every application coming with their own DLLs whether any other application shares it or not, they can share the same DLL if it's the same version. It's like, a couple extra megabytes for some DLLs, this web page is probably larger than that. I've been waiting for the day Linux gets something like SxS, although I'm not holding my breathe. It really does seem like Flatpak is the future, as much of a brute force solution as it is.
            Although I prefer flatpak, I still have quite a few concerns about this ecosystem.
            Last time I was learning some basics about developing flatpak applications, I found there seems no way to add libraries that are not in the SDK as shared runtime.
            It seems the only choice left is to bundle this library into the application.

The only solution in my mind is to extend flatpak to something close to a full-fledged distribution, and include a package manager.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
              And who the hell are you? What are your great accomplishments that you can tell people what they can and can't say here? List them please, I'm waiting.
              No he is right.

Its frankly f**ken annoying to have forum threads derailed all of the time because someone nitpicks on some stupid small unrelated point and make a massive deal about.

Talk about the article and not some stupid minor unrelated detail, i.e. video happens to be uploaded on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                No he is right.
                (...)
                Talk about the article and not some stupid minor unrelated detail, i.e. video happens to be uploaded on youtube.
                No he was not right, at all..!
                tildearrow just made a observation related with the subject of the article, in concrete, with the uploading platform of the video..
                And it was a valid observation( because there are still some places of the globe that still care with users privacy rights.. ).

And google is well known to brake any rules, in any privacy related concern and spying on people..
                So his observation, apart from being subject related, was also right..

afaik, it was not tildearrow who derailed the subject of the article( but those who started a rant campaign against him.. )
                Every person as the right to express herself,
                You just need to accept other opinions, instead of starting personal attacks on certain people..

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  Interesting, I assumed he was a nobody himself. There's no good way for me to know that, though.
                  There's a lot of apparent nobodies here who are doing very important work or who are leaders of important projects. Best to just assume that they aren't really nobodies.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

No he is right.

Its frankly f**ken annoying to have forum threads derailed all of the time because someone nitpicks on some stupid small unrelated point and make a massive deal about.

Then you would get a lot more articles where there's 0 or 1 or 2 comments and no actual conversations. It would be nice and quiet around here, should make you happy. The rest of us would just have to find somewhere else to chat freely where we aren't being constantly nagged about whether or not something is "off-topic".

Comment

The linker is vastly unappreciated and also misunderstood piece of technology. There are very few people who understand linking deep down on the planet.

On dynamic linking tho, I think the problem is bigger than just LD. This needs cross-language standardization, unified interface definitions and more work. I don't think it's going to happen tho.

Comment

Working...
                      X