Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i7, AMD Phenom II Benchmarks On Linux

Phoronix: Intel Core i7, AMD Phenom II Benchmarks On Linux

If you have been wanting to look at Linux performance numbers for the Intel Core i7 or AMD Phenom II processors, be sure to stop by Phoronix Global. While the PR departments at Intel and AMD seem to have no interest at all in their latest desktop processors on Linux, many users of this new hardware have provided their own benchmarks courtesy of the Phoronix Test Suite. All of the Phenom II and Core i7 results can be found by searching for them from this page...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Darn, I beat an i7 in something but it didn't let me upload it to the global site (presumably because I hit Y to look at it online before uploading)

Comment

Very apples to oranges comparing results on PTS Global. Michael, perhaps you can buy a Phenom II as well, configure your i7 and PII as closely as possible, then run PTS.

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but the Core i7 having triple channel means the i7s usually end up with 6Gb of RAM vs 4Gb for the rest of the CPUs (for now at least). I guess one needs to take care not to use more than 4Gb of RAM during testing, since the systems with 4Gb will incur a virtual memory speed penalty. Also, 6Gb allows for more disk caching. Does this matter in the 2Gb file encryption tests on subsequent runs?

Comment

Compare against an AM3 motherboard

It will be fairer to use an AM3 motherboard, once they're available, so you can compare exactly the same RAM between each.

Comment

That still doesn't change triple vs dual channel. Current Phenoms and Opterons only have a dual channel controller. I don't see how you can give a Phenom 6Gb of RAM and still have a dual channel configuration, unless there's such a thing as 3Gb DIMMs?

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
            That still doesn't change triple vs dual channel. Current Phenoms and Opterons only have a dual channel controller. I don't see how you can give a Phenom 6Gb of RAM and still have a dual channel configuration, unless there's such a thing as 3Gb DIMMs?
            1 2Gigger and 1 1 Gigger in each memory bank will give you dual channel 6 Gigs.

Comment

Deanjo you're right. Must be all this stuff about matched pairs of sticks.. good marketing eh?

Comment

Originally posted by lem79 View Post
                Deanjo you're right. Must be all this stuff about matched pairs of sticks.. good marketing eh?
                As long as memory bank A and B are configured the same they are considered matched. Having two different capacity sticks in the same channel is not an issue. The only time it would be an issue if placed the larger chips in one channel and two smaller in another channel.

Comment

I would like to see a detailed i7 VS Phenom II of all them. Of course running on Linux, OpenSolaris and *BSD.

Comment

Performance of memory controllers

Does anyone have numbers about the total memory bandwidth of core i7 and phenom II.

So far, I have seen numbers only from single threaded tests and I wonder if the relative behavior of intel/amd solution is kept the same with those new processors.

On the older barcelona/penryn architectures, I have noticed that the memory bandwidth is mostly independent from the number of threads on intel solutions while you get about 3 times larger bandwidth using four threads instead of one on a phenom.

I'm especially wondering if, with the new integrated memory controller, the memory bandwidth of core i7 is growing with the number of trheads has it does for phenom.

Comment

Working...
                    X