Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Details 7nm POWER10 CPUs But Not Shipping Until H2'2021

Phoronix: IBM Details 7nm POWER10 CPUs But Not Shipping Until H2'2021

After covering the Linux/open-source POWER10 bring-up for a number of months already, IBM has finally announced firm information on their forthcoming POWER10 processors. POWER10 looks promising but these 7nm CPUs will not begin shipping until the second half of next year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was curious about what we can see in POWER10, so I skimmed the ISA manual and found
    "Appendix A. Notes on the Removal of Transactional Memory from the Architecture"

Can't stop laughing. Let's guess when Intel removes transactional memory from x86.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
      Was curious about what we can see in POWER10, so I skimmed the ISA manual and found
      "Appendix A. Notes on the Removal of Transactional Memory from the Architecture"

Can't stop laughing. Let's guess when Intel removes transactional memory from x86.
      I think Intel already did in Comet Lake?

Comment

Is there something fundamentally wrong with transactional memory? By the way, ARM just introduced TME last year (see: https://community.arm.com/developer/...e-architecture).

Comment

are they even going to be remotely competitive in performance with zen 4 by then?

Comment

Matrix Math Accelerator for 10x faster AI inference for FP32, 15x faster AI inference for BFloat16
            There's this one trilogy about matrices and this other series about the AI.

What they haven't shown is the in-between where the Terminators put us in the Matrix...and y'all are helping them put us there 10 to 15 times faster.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
              Is there something fundamentally wrong with transactional memory?
              As an idea? Nope. Just stupid hard to get it right and even more so given the complexity of modern CPUs.

Comment

I'm very curious about POWER 10, I hope I'll be able to get a TALOS workstation of it and I hope x86 emulation would be on par with a Core2 Quad. If not, I can settle for running Windows 98 in PCem or DOSbox and just play OpenMW and XNA games natively.

Comment

Is this correct:
                  - X86 is the most used desktop architecture
                  - Power - the most powerful CPUs
                  - ARM - the most power efficient
                  - RISC - whatever...?

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                    are they even going to be remotely competitive in performance with zen 4 by then?
                    The question should be will Zen 4 be competitive in performance with POWER 10.

Not that it matters anyway. Unfortunately POWER is still niche, and shows no sign of gaining any Mainstream Server adoption.

Comment

Working...
                    X