Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER10 Virtualization, Intel SERIALIZE Come For KVM On Linux 5.9

Phoronix: POWER10 Virtualization, Intel SERIALIZE Come For KVM On Linux 5.9

Sent in last week for the Linux 5.9 kernel merge window were the initial batch of changes to the Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) while today some additional interesting changes were sent out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this. I think I understand that KVM uses QEMU under the hood is some sort of special mode (QEMU being pure emulation, whereas KVM does some virtualization that passes things through to use the hardware more efficiently - if that is correct enough?)

Does KVM *always* use QEMU, or is it just an option? What made me think about this is that the earlier QEMU post mentioned POWER10, now this KVM post does as well. Was thinking maybe the POWER10 stuff is a product of both KVM and QEMU working together. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
      I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to this. I think I understand that KVM uses QEMU under the hood is some sort of special mode (QEMU being pure emulation, whereas KVM does some virtualization that passes things through to use the hardware more efficiently - if that is correct enough?)
      It is actually kinda the other way around.

qemu can do pure cpu emulation (of x86, aarch64, sparc64, etc)

qemu can also connect to KVM and pass through instructions to be executed natively on the host.

qemu can also connect to Intel's HAXM in place of KVM (i.e on macOS or Windows).
      In theory qemu could also connect to VirtualBox's driver, bhyve (on FreeBSD) or vmm (on OpenBSD) or Hyper-V (on Windows) and act as a frontend to those. However there is probably not sufficient interest.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 12 August 2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

For those that instead (or after) emulation want the real thing...

I just noted, thanks to talospace, that a possibility to buy Power (9? 10? Raptor stuff?) for EU citizens is coming. Ok, it seems so, anyway. That was the single thing unpleasant of my experience with Raptor: the shitty custom office on my side when buying direct from the USA. Now there'll be (hopefully) a source shipping from the EU, with payment in EUR, accepting SEPA transfer payments, bitcoins or ether. I'm not rich, but I wouldn't mind paying the margin for both Vikings and Raptor to save trouble with customs. Vikings is not a new shop, but I've never bought from them, so I can't honestly advice for or against them yet, but at least there's hope for a reseller in the EU, yay!

Comment

Working...
        X