Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NUVIA Published New Details On Their Phoenix CPU, Talks Up Big Performance/Perf-Per-Watt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know why Windows 9 was never released ??

Because when Microsoft rolled out Windows 8 with that horrible tiled based interface as their "Convergence GUI" there was something WAY more insidious underneath that brain numbingly bad interface. It was the fact that Microsoft had to try to make Windows work on a phone, a tablet, a desktop, a video game console...EVEN THE ZUNE MP3 PLAYER... ALL with either Intel inside or PowerPC in the case of the X-Bone. The problem was two fold. Microsoft SUCKS at making a more lithe, modular version of Windows OS to suit the needs of a Windows Phone or Tablet, or low powered 2n1 Windows based laptop like a Chromebook, not to mention rewriting Windows for a wholly different architecture like the IBM PowerPC. So...TWO different architectures, WAY different Power to Watt performance needs AND stuck with the same shitty hard to optimize Windows OS base.

Therefore, Windows 8 was an UNMITIGATED DISASTER from every respect. So much so that Microsoft abandoned Windows 9 and went "Back To The Future" with Windows 10. They left the Music Player market. They left the Phone market. Intel left the portables and phone market as well when they shuttered the Atom CPU. Convergence was and still is DEAD with Microsoft.

Unless they take a page from the one company on Earth that has pulled it off. Apple. Even Google will beat Microsoft to the punch. Their ChromeOS / Android match up is pretty darn close to total convergence albeit in a multi-container way.

And the Computing Architecture that allows Google and Apple and eventually Microsoft to converge.....is ARM. Buh Bye x-86. Thanks for the last 40 years of computing. ARM will take it from here for the next 40. Tick Tock Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      You know why Windows 9 was never released ??
      It was released -- it's called Windows 10 -- because the "9" could have caused software issues with some applications that were hard coded for Windows 95.

The rest of your plagiarized walls-o-text make even less sense than that dumb rant. If I were you I'd stop worrying about ARM and start worrying about your LIVER because you are clearly drinking yourself to death.

Comment

x86 died the day Apple announced their move to ARM. Just as Floppy Drives, CD/DVD-ROMs, Hard Drives, and Flash died once Apple announced them to be old, dead technology. Everybody poo-pooed those announcements as well. Until Microsoft...as they always have done...copied Apple as well and turned the lumbering Wintel Titanic around to follow Apple's lead.
        Floppy drives lumbered on for ~7 years after Apple dismissed them. Flash unfortunately lasted a decade longer as well. When they disappeared it was because they were obsolete, not a long delayed reaction to Apple’s decision.

The A series chips don’t perform as well as they seem to in benchmarks. The benchmarks perform differently because they’re on different hardware. There’s no question they’re currently on top of mobile CPU performance, but I’d like to see actual results of the chips doing desktop tasks, not the oft-mentioned Geekbench results.

There’s also the problem of Apple’s minuscule market share. I can tell you’re in the US because Apple seems more widespread here than elsewhere. They have 10-15% of the smartphone market. Their total PC share is 3%, laptops like 7-10%. That’s not leading anything. Worse, I see the company making some of the mistakes they made in the early 90s. They might still succeed, but it’s not the sure thing you make it out to be.

Your snark about Linux being tied with x86 is dead wrong, though. It started briefly as a 386 specific project, but Linux has been multi-platform forever, and runs fine on ARM. I think you’d be surprised how poorly optimized Mac OS actually is. OS X started as a very clean product, implementing advanced features in an ideal manner, but it’s accrued so much crap in the last decade that I think it’s more technically indebted than OS 9 now. Apple’s contemporary disrespect for developers, that increases with every subsequent version, reminds me of Microsoft in the late 90s.

I agree that we’re overdue for change, but I think looking at one thing we have and saying it’ll leapfrog another is awfully naive. I’d rather expect the unexpected and be completely surprised.

Comment

x86 is here to stay because of the existing software ecosystem around it. It has been declared as dead or obsolete many times in the last 20 years, but I see little indication that it's going away any time soon. Unless nuvia presents something that is vastly superior to x86 in perf per dollar AND comes with tooling/software at least equivalent to x86 servers, it'll remain a niche product or die like most of the rest of the "disruptive" arm server startups.

Comment

Originally posted by bearoso View Post
            There’s also the problem of Apple’s minuscule market share. I can tell you’re in the US because Apple seems more widespread here than elsewhere. They have 10-15% of the smartphone market. Their total PC share is 3%, laptops like 7-10%. That’s not leading anything. Worse, I see the company making some of the mistakes they made in the early 90s. They might still succeed, but it’s not the sure thing you make it out to be.
            Thanks for typing that out. I was about to write the something similar. I don't care about architectures and which one "wins" the pc-market. But why on earth would he think, that apple plays such a big role here? Just because they have their own ARM-"implementation" like 30 other vendors? People already/still falling for their marketing-BS?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              I swear I read "NVIDIA" instead of "NUVIA" by accident and almost thought they were gonna make CPUs...
              It is happened the same for me at least twice...

Comment

And where will this leave Linux on the Desktop by 2022-2025. Horribly behind desperately trying to optimize the entire stack for ARM including other projects like LibreOffice who as far as I know don't even have an ARM port at all.
                LibreOffice runs on ARM since 2014, stop snorting apple product dust https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...it-arm-aarch64
                See here on Debian packages https://packages.debian.org/sid/libreoffice

It's NOT about recompilation and porting. It's about OPTIMIZING for performance, stability
                This is true for Power but not for ARM. All decent software is usign NEON extensions on ARM or has ARM assembler optimizations.

AND new hardware features like built in A.I. and Neural Net processors that Intel nor AMD CPU's have built in like ARM or their Apple or Qualcomm derivatives.
                Unless you are actually doing tasks that need AI, there is no use for "neural net processors" (a fancy name for an embedded GPU, because that's what that is).

ARM, Apple, Qualcomm and Mediatek are ALL going to beat Intel AND AMD to 5nm. And that's REAL 5nm not optimized 7nm but will be marketed as "5nm". And by the time even AMD gets to real 5nm ( and forget about Intel as they are hopelessly lost in fabrication now ) ARM, Apple, Qualcomm and Mediatek will be chugging merrily along at 3nm.
                Considering that everyone apart from Intel is manufactured by the same fabs, I don't see how that is even possible.

With even MORE Power per Watt efficiencies AND ALSO just plain more computational OOMPH. Not to mention built in AI Engines, Neural Net Engines, GPS, Vision Engines NONE of which is in ANY x86 processor either from Intel nor AMD.
                That's a fancy name for a GPU, bro.

I am NOT an Apple fanbois.
                Yes you are. You are posting a ton of bullshit propaganda about Apple, and caring about nonsense like their market evaluation.

EVERY SINGLE DEVICE running ARM and a version of iOS/MacOS all completely optimized and performanced tuned to ARM.
                And will still lose badly to "unoptimized" Linux probably, just like MacOS or iOS does today.

Comment

x86 died the day Apple announced their move to ARM
                  i've probably missed you rebuilding all my closed source games for arm

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    Advances in µOP cache
                    caches cost money and power

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                      Then why does ARM A77/A78/X1 also does have a µOP cache? Maybe it has been put there to save power as well as improve performance
                      so which one saved pore power or performance? Next time please try to think harder. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X