No announcement yet.

JEDEC Publishes DDR5 Standard - Launching At 4.8 Gbps, Better Power Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JEDEC Publishes DDR5 Standard - Launching At 4.8 Gbps, Better Power Efficiency

Phoronix: JEDEC Publishes DDR5 Standard - Launching At 4.8 Gbps, Better Power Efficiency

JEDEC today published their long-awaited JESD79-5 DDR5 SDRAM standard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

AMD's APUs will love this.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      They very much will, but I'm sure it still won't be enough for things such as games with high-res textures.

Comment

It's gonna be faster and more efficient.

Who knew ?
        FFS go easy on this stuff, it almost blew my heart valve.

What's next ?
        That it won't really be any faster in terms of latency and even for substantially higher bandwidth we'll have to wait more than a year or so ?

Really, maybe you should reserve the headlines YEARS in advance, to prepare the public and ease the shock.

Here, let me start:

New RowHammer3 attack vector on smaller DDR5 RAM cells.

Write in advance, publish as needed.

Last edited by Brane215; 14 July 2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
          It's gonna be faster and more efficient.

Who knew ?
          FFS go easy on this stuff, it almost blew my heart valve.

What's next ?
          That it won't really be any faster in terms of latency and even for substantially higher bandwidth we'll have to wait more than a year or so ?

Really, maybe you should reserve the headlines YEARS in advance, to prepare the public and ease the shock.

Here, let me start:

New RowHammer3 attack vector on smaller DDR5 RAM cells.

Write in advance, publish as needed.

Dude chill out. I could understand this response if he wrote a whole big article on it and then asked for a bunch of money because this is hard-hitting journalism or something but it's a small "here's some news you may have missed" type of article. Anger issues much?

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post

Dude chill out. I could understand this response if he wrote a whole big article on it and then asked for a bunch of money because this is hard-hitting journalism or something but it's a small "here's some news you may have missed" type of article. Anger issues much?
            So was my response. Open source, free of charge.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              This is the first thing I thought and frankly would think that AMD would be ahead of the curve here. This is why I'm expecting AM5 to come a lot sooner than 2022. That might happen by the end of the year. If not AM5; Thread Ripper Pro, with its new socket, would be an interesting place to support fast RAM as early as possible.

I know that DDR 5 ram has been sampling since almost the beginning of the year so maybe a real possibility of entering 2021 with much faster hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

This is the first thing I thought and frankly would think that AMD would be ahead of the curve here. This is why I'm expecting AM5 to come a lot sooner than 2022. That might happen by the end of the year. If not AM5; Thread Ripper Pro, with its new socket, would be an interesting place to support fast RAM as early as possible.

I know that DDR 5 ram has been sampling since almost the beginning of the year so maybe a real possibility of entering 2021 with much faster hardware.
                I hope they won't rush it. NO need DDR4 started at pathetic 2133 speeds and was nothing to write about until 3600MHz+ speeds.

Aiming it for APUs is fruitless, at least on start. WHole point of APU solution is low price. Which kinda evaporates if you have to have expensive fast RAM.
                Once market stabiilizes and 6000MHz speeds become normal, sure. By then you'll probably get 64GB per stick and ECC will be off-the-shelf normal...

BTW, there is far too big of a crowd of me-too morons o'n the board market. All generic copies, with the exception of a bord or two from Asrock and perhap Biostar etc, everything is generic.

I would love to see cheap SoC board with say soldered on 4800HS and soldered on LPDDR4 at 4266MHz quad channel.

ANd the same with a successor on LPDDR5. With all four DP ports on small , cheap but deadly mini-ITX or smaller board, without chipsed. Basically just with that the APU offers.

But no, we are to be forcefeed bazziliion same models with different name.

Last edited by Brane215; 14 July 2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

More interesting than DDR5 would be to see HBM memory used on the CPU package as a new tier of memory between on-chip SRAM and the DDR memory interface.

Comment

AM5/Pcie5/ddr5 will be my next upgrade stop I think. We're approaching the point where the slowest part of the boot process is the bios loading.

Comment

Working...
                    X