Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper PRO For Workstations

Phoronix: AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper PRO For Workstations

Building off last year's successful Ryzen Threadripper 3000 series and the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X that launched back in February, today AMD is announcing the Zen 2 based Ryzen Threadripper PRO processors targeted for workstation usage.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good stuff, but the need for a new socket is somewhat disappointing.
    Last edited by vladpetric; 14 July 2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
      Good stuff, but the need for a new socket is somewhat disappointing.
      Yes, but I don't think there is anyway they could have make the 8 channels and 128 lanes possible otherwise. Also, anyone in the market for such CPUs would care to buy a motherboard anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BraindeadBZH View Post

Yes, but I don't think there is anyway they could have make the 8 channels and 128 lanes possible otherwise. Also, anyone in the market for such CPUs would care to buy a motherboard anyway.
        Doesn't SP3 support exactly that already?

" In multi-processor configurations, two Epyc CPUs communicate via AMD's Infinity Fabric.[6] Each server chip supports 8 channels of memory and 128 PCIe 3.0 lanes, of which 64 lanes from each are used for CPU-to-CPU communication through Infinity Fabric when installed in a dual-processor configuration."

Comment

And of course people would by a new motherboard (it's been a long while since I did a CPU upgrade for my personal stuff ...), but the fragmentation in a somewhat rarefied space makes the motherboards more expensive.

Comment

Doesn't SP3 support exactly that already?

" In multi-processor configurations, two Epyc CPUs communicate via AMD's Infinity Fabric.[6] Each server chip supports 8 channels of memory and 128 PCIe 3.0 lanes, of which 64 lanes from each are used for CPU-to-CPU communication through Infinity Fabric when installed in a dual-processor configuration."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epyc
            SP3 probably does not have the energy envelope to support 280W TDP.

Comment

but the fragmentation in a somewhat rarefied space makes the motherboards more expensive.
              I don't think data really backup this claim.

Comment

SP3 probably does not have the energy envelope to support 280W TDP.
                You're right, I agree.

Comment

I don't think data really backup this claim.
                  For this specific one, we'll see (you can't buy one right now). Generally I see that EPYC motherboards are more expensive than TRX40 ones (talking about newegg/amazon browsing here, not a survey), though I could be wrong here.

Comment

For this specific one, we'll see (you can't buy one right now). Generally I see that EPYC motherboards are more expensive than TRX40 ones (talking about newegg/amazon browsing here, not a survey), though I could be wrong here.
                    EPYC motherboard are more expensive because they are for a different market. Here it's the same, the workstation market doesn't care about motherboard price because it is nothing compare to putting 8 sticks of ECC memory and multiple NVidia Quadro.

Comment

Working...
                    X