Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

but every Performance test manjaro come at least 35% the last every time

Comment

The U series are severely thermal limited so this is basically testing whose scheduler would let the machine run hotter.

Comment

Originally posted by dxin View Post
        The U series are severely thermal limited so this is basically testing whose scheduler would let the machine run hotter.
        Actually, no, I haven't found the 4500U or 4700U to be "severely thermal limited" under Linux at least not any more so than any of the many Intel laptops I've tested. They all run cooler than my various Dell XPS for instance.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Very insightful. Loved those benchmarks, Michael. Congratulations on your great job!

They really show that Intel is not prioritizing gaming performance at all on their distro and that Firefox is underoptimized on Linux under its default settings.

Now if you could get someone to optimize Gentoo for you, with custom kernel, -O3 and the gentoolto overlay, that would be an order of magnitude of awesomeness. I know it might be a lot of work, but can envision willing volunteers to do it for you on Freenode's #gentoo channel or in the Gentoo forums.

I would become a Premium subscriber if you managed to get a überriced, super optimized Gentoo setup on your benchmarks from now on, even if the results end up disappointing the fanboy who is writing this message to you.
          Last edited by King Mucus; 26 June 2020, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
            Michael where'd you get a Flex 5 in AMD form with 16GB RAM for only $599? I just looked at the Lenovo website and the Flex 5 with AMD for $599 has only 8 GB of RAM. I've been looking for a new light notebook for returning to school (lighter than my near 6 lb monster 15.6" laptop) but the only ones I keep seeing with 16 GB of RAM are 800+ and really don't gain me anything in either weight or performance over my 2018 monster. 16 GB has been my base RAM requirement and it's really really annoying nearly every laptop that's not 5.5lbs + comes with 8GB soldered to the board, which I don't want.
            Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Proces.../dp/B086226DDB

Comment

Originally posted by N0va View Post
              What is causing Manjaro to tank? Is it just the heaviest distro or is there something else?
              simply, they were not using the same kernel..

it's not a fair test since in ubuntu he puts the latest stable kernel and in manjaro he puts older 5.6 kernel on such a modern laptop. Fedora has the manpower needed to backport things to the older kernel series so..
              The answer is simply, if manjaro was in them latest stable kernel I think manjaro wouldn't be in the last position. I think like ubuntu, in majaro being so easy to change the kernel, a more fair test would have been doing it with 5.7 kernel in almost every distro..

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                why is manjaro always is the last ?
                the kernel.. the version of kernel was the EOL 5.6 while in ubuntu he has updated to 5.7 and in opensuse tumblewee is 5.7 so.. except fedora that has 5.6 but much manpower to backport things.. Michael sometimes do tests very unfair..

Comment

Fedora does seem to have really bad Java support. I run F32 but then again have zero interest in Java so that isn't a big bother. What I find harder to describe or quantify, is the feel that running Windows 10 leaves you with. Honestly it sucks! That is based on running it at work. there really isn't a test for that.

In any event I'm waiting on Micheal to run some of that coming Apple Silicon hardware. It will be interesting if they can deliver on all of the hype around ARM of late. Some of that hype comes from me wanting a laptop that actually does run all day on a battery, maybe even all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by amdtesterman View Post

simply, they were not using the same kernel..

it's not a fair test since in ubuntu he puts the latest stable kernel and in manjaro he puts older 5.6 kernel on such a modern laptop. Fedora has the manpower needed to backport things to the older kernel series so..
                    The answer is simply, if manjaro was in them latest stable kernel I think manjaro wouldn't be in the last position. I think like ubuntu, in majaro being so easy to change the kernel, a more fair test would have been doing it with 5.7 kernel in almost every distro..
                    It makes me wonder if they're using 5.6 by default since ZFS doesn't officially support Linux 5.7 just yet.

Even though Manjaro has a 5.7 available, Michael benchmarking what gets installed OOTB whenever he does the benchmarks makes it a perfectly fair test.

My nitpick is that I'd rather Michael test the GNOME or Plasma version of Manjaro since every other distribution tested was on GNOME or Plasma...or better yet, use the GNOME versions of Manjaro and OpenSUSE so we can maybe eliminate desktop environment factors. XFCE could very well be what is causing Manjaro to have lower numbers on some tests. First page is OpenGL tests and Manjaro is easily the worst across the board while OpenSUSE is right there with Ubuntu so we can deduct that both GNOME and Plasma are performing well in regards to the graphics tests. With no other XFCE distribution tested it's hard to draw an accurate conclusion, but since Ubuntu and SUSE had big first place finish pieces of the pie and the graphics tests are where Manjaro had its ass handed to it (it was pretty competitive elsewhere), the Desktop Environment appears to be the cause of their "stellar" performance.

Comment

It seems like there still are a couple of places where the open source AMD GPU driver is significantly behind the closed Windows driver (GiMark and TessMark). Hopefully someone (@Marek?? ) will find the reason and make the Linux driver rock even harder

Comment

Working...
                      X