Testing Intel FSGSBASE Patches For Helping Elevate Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Intel FSGSBASE Patches For Helping Elevate Linux Performance

Phoronix: Testing Intel FSGSBASE Patches For Helping Elevate Linux Performance

After covering the Linux patches for FSGSBASE for years, it's looking like Linux 5.9 will finally land the support for this CPU capability present since Ivy Bridge on the Intel side and more recently on AMD CPUs with Bulldozer and Zen. Here are benchmarks looking at some of the performance benefits the Linux FSGSBASE patches can provide for an Intel Xeon Cascade Lake Refresh server.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wonderful

Comment

Enable full mitigation and the we'll see.

Edit: chuckula, where is lvi mentioned?
      Last edited by Volta; 26 June 2020, 04:11 AM.

Comment

But isn't the userspace software supposed to be modified to make use of it? I don't really understand, the patch doc says:
        User-level programs (such as JAVA-based) may benefit from avoiding system calls to edit FS/GSBASE
        Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          Enable full mitigation and the we'll see.
          It clearly was enabled if you knew how to read the flags that were posted on the first page of the article.

Comment

This is an amazing feature given that boosting I/O performance is always a big deal. It's just sad that it's taken 8 years for the feature to get turned on even in Linux, much less in other OS implementations.

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
              But isn't the userspace software supposed to be modified to make use of it? I don't really understand, the patch doc says:

Am I missing something?

It appears that there are ways to improve the results further in userspace, but since FSGSBASE makes context switching faster there are certainly performance benefits that don't require any changes to userspace code:

Benefits: Some performance benefit in context switch is expected by skipping MSR write for GSBASE.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                This is an amazing feature given that boosting I/O performance is always a big deal. It's just sad that it's taken 8 years for the feature to get turned on even in Linux, much less in other OS implementations.
                One thing I haven't seen is whether Windows already handles FSGSBASE?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

One thing I haven't seen is whether Windows already handles FSGSBASE?
                  You mentioned in one of your other articles that the work on FSGSBASE had attracted interest from Microsoft, which I take to mean that they haven't already implemented it:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

You mentioned in one of your other articles that the work on FSGSBASE had attracted interest from Microsoft, which I take to mean that they haven't already implemented it:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Linux-Patches
                    That was for pushing along the Linux patches by Sasha (presumably for Linux on Azure or their other related Linux interests) but not with regards to the Windows context.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X