No announcement yet.

Testing Intel FSGSBASE Patches For Helping Elevate Linux Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice! I've been using these patches for a while on my Haswell with no problems. Good to know there's some tangible speed improvements. Thanks for these, Michael.

Also if anyone needs quick acess to these patches, they're offered in sirlucjan's github repo and he updates it with iterating version numbers as the kernel updates (currently on v3)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      presumably for Linux on Azure or their other related Linux interests
      Seeing Postgres improvement, reminds that Microsoft acquired Citusdata last year, which develops a plugin for clustering postgres, which serves as base for their Azure Hiperscale product

Comment

Someone must have crossed the streams a bit. It can't orginally be from this timeline that we have Microsoft enhancing the performance of the Linux kernel.

Comment

This "new" Intel feature should be interesting. Let's merge it and see what new Intel CPU security failures fall out on to the floor for others to fix.

Comment

One thing I haven't seen is whether Windows already handles FSGSBASE?
            With postgres having an 80% difference, one may be able to deduce by simply benchmarking postgres on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post

With postgres having an 80% difference, one may be able to deduce by simply benchmarking postgres on Windows.
              Yes and no, Windows database servers like PostgreSQL perform much slower in general due to NTFS and the like, so there isn't any good relative 'base' value to compare it to.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Yes and no, Windows database servers like PostgreSQL perform much slower in general due to NTFS and the like, so there isn't any good relative 'base' value to compare it to.
                The last of your PostgreSQL Windows vs Linux comparison I can find is not really supporting that generality;

even though that's from 2018 and a single threaded buffer test...

Comment

The last of your PostgreSQL Windows vs Linux comparison I can find is not really supporting that generality;
                  Those benchmark results look insane, and I would take them with a huge grain of salt. I'm not saying Windows can't be faster, but it really makes zero sense to see a client SKU be ~2x faster than the nearly identical server SKU, and ~5x faster than most every Linux distribution.

If those benchmarks did reflect real world postgres performance, everyone would immediately jump to Windows 10 Pro for all of their database needs. A windows client license would be an insignificant price to pay for a 500% performance increase.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post

It clearly was enabled if you knew how to read the flags that were posted on the first page of the article.
                    There's no mention of lvi mitigation.

Comment

It clearly shows windows doesn't sync its data. It's useless.

Comment

Working...
                      X