Apple Confirms Their Future Desktops + Laptops Will Use In-House CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    I like the idea. Once different architectures truly propagate into the market, this might even wake the world up to realise that virtualization isn't necessarily the solution to digital preservation and maintaining software.

People might start reducing superfluous features and dependencies to help improve true portability.
    Or use NodeJS and Python and "web technologies"

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Apple are masters of shooting themselves in the foot, not masters of keynotes. This move will basically drive any remaining macOS users away from it. Not that Apple care, they for a long time are run by mobile eggheads who don't care about the desktop. Same people who let OpenGL rot there, dropped 32-bit support and refused to support Vulkan.
      To be fair, that's where most of their revenue is. It makes sense to migrate what is possible to a "mobile-like" laptop and dump the rest in the river.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
        That's because Microsoft, no matter how unpopular it is in OSS community, is more friendly to an open eco-system.
        MS simply is unable to enforce every developer to adopt ARM, according to its business model.
        Being "unable to enforce" isn't the same as "being more friendly". MS is the same as Apple, they just failed to take control of their ecosystem so they have to play ball with what they got.

Comment

I don't even begin to understand why anyone would want to even care about what Apple does?

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
            To pile on about concerns with ARM, I've yet to see an ARM chip hit 3GHz. They're more than happy to keep slapping more cores in a chip, but there's little attention paid to single core performance.
            Surface Pro X with Microsoft SQ1 processor https://www.notebookcheck.net/Micros....436918.0.html should reach 3Ghz (probably in boost mode), and it has no real cooling. If you slap that bad boy in a laptop with some form of cooling it will be able to run for longer at 3Ghz

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              These Arm-based MacBooks/iMacs will be able to run iOS/iPodOS applications
              Don't you mean iPadOS?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Being "unable to enforce" isn't the same as "being more friendly". MS is the same as Apple, they just failed to take control of their ecosystem so they have to play ball with what they got.
                Yes in general these two concepts are not equal, but for MS things are little bit different.
                MS did not fail to take control. It intentionally did not try to control so that it can compete with Apple.
                Android took the same approach as well.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Surface Pro X with Microsoft SQ1 processor https://www.notebookcheck.net/Micros....436918.0.html should reach 3Ghz (probably in boost mode), and it has no real cooling. If you slap that bad boy in a laptop with some form of cooling it will be able to run for longer at 3Ghz
                  Looks like it has half it's cores at 3GHz and half at 1.8GHz. So while better, there still seem to be some "easy" adjustments that could improve performance without major impact to power usage (though would mean new, bigger chips) such as 64 bit or 128bit memory controller, and L1/2/3i/d caches

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
                    And is it just me or are Apple's keynotes always so well choreographed?
                    When you are selling a dream, you want the fantasy life you are promising to look the part. Steve Jobs was never a great engineer (that is why the other Steve was so valuable to the early company), but Steve Jobs was a showman, and he was very very good at it ("The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that you've got it made"). That lesson of making the show look good is now part of what Apple is (at least those allowed to do presentations).

Comment

Originally posted by Snaipersky View Post
                      To pile on about concerns with ARM, I've yet to see an ARM chip hit 3GHz. They're more than happy to keep slapping more cores in a chip, but there's little attention paid to single core performance.

Huh? You do realize that Appleā€™s single core performance is outstanding. Their IPC is better than many X86 chips. There are things I really do not like about Apple but you have to respect their hardware engineering teams. Hardware in this sense being the SoC.

Comment

Working...
                      X