It's Looking Like FSGSBASE Support Might Finally Land In Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Looking Like FSGSBASE Support Might Finally Land In Linux 5.9

Phoronix: It's Looking Like FSGSBASE Support Might Finally Land In Linux 5.9

It's looking like the Linux kernel support for the FSGSBASE instruction that has been present since Intel "Ivy Bridge" CPUs might finally see mainlining with Linux 5.9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> " ... Linux 5.9 ... "
    Trolls exist all over the internet. If I dare try to use the words "Linux 5.9", trolls love pouncing & toying with the very bad offender. "There is no such thing as Linux 5.9"!
    So to be very fussy, we now need to be ultra precise: Linux KERNEL 5.9.
    There are some amazing novelties in this announcement. So many features have already been announced into the next version: 5.8, so why delay it until 5.9?
    Secondly, like all good vaporware, tension building launches, we are now wondering what further excitement in coming for versions 5.10, 5.11 & version 6? Will the Windows-10 kernel finally be added to the Linux kernel? Will NVIDIA make it easier to release its drivers into this Linux kernel? When will Wayland, snaps & Flatpak finally become more inbuilit into the kernel?

Comment

It will most likely to introduce a new set of cryptic vulnerabilities and rejected or reverted back to where it should be .

Comment

finally some good news i hate everytime i open blog about more slowdown

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
          > " ... Linux 5.9 ... "
          Trolls exist all over the internet. If I dare try to use the words "Linux 5.9", trolls love pouncing & toying with the very bad offender. "There is no such thing as Linux 5.9"!
          There are some amazing novelties in this announcement. So many features have already been announced into the next version: 5.8, so why delay it until 5.9?
          Secondly, like all good vaporware, tension building launches, we are now wondering what further excitement in coming for versions 5.10, 5.11 & version 6? Will the Windows-10 kernel finally be added to the Linux kernel? Will NVIDIA make it easier to release its drivers into this Linux kernel? When will Wayland, snaps & Flatpak finally become more inbuilit into the kernel?
          I have no idea what you're on about...

Comment

> " ... Linux 5.9 ... "
            there is a lot to unpack here.. stream of conciousness?

and to be fair - Linux always refers to the kernel, as that is what "Linux" is - everything else is a distribution on top

Comment

Great news. Albeit I had liked to see this a bit sooner.

Comment

> " ... Linux 5.9 ... "
                This is a cry for help.

Comment

> " ... Linux 5.9 ... "
                  Just ignore the snowflakes that complain to you. They probably don't know the difference between a Linux kernel and a corn kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

Just ignore the snowflakes that complain to you. They probably don't know the difference between a Linux kernel and a corn kernel.
                    One's the shit and the other's in shit

Comment

Working...
                    X