Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeeJay
    replied
    Intel are basically using crypto hashes for their names now. Or mini uuids - what else would i5-1035G7, i9-10885H, i3-10110Y be?

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Please tell me whether the KFC one is real.

(Yes, C series do exist (or existed))
    The KFC chip was leaked in the release notes for an AIDA64 update. Various bits of the overclocking community had great fun with that one for a while. I think that after being the butt of so many "extra crispy" jokes, Intel changed the designation, so I'm not sure if you can actually buy a chip with that label attached. It might have quietly morphed into the KS? This is exactly the kind of confusion I mean with these letter designations...

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
    Or the alphabet soup that the 9-series chips became with the no-letter, E, F, H, HK, K, KF, KFC,
    Please tell me whether the KFC one is real.

(Yes, C series do exist (or existed))

Leave a comment:

• angrypie
    replied
    Originally posted by novhack View Post
    AMD is not that far with their suffixes count: U, H, HS, G, E, GE, X, XT, WX, AF (unofficial), ...
    They're mimicking Intel's suffixes, likely to lead people into believing they're drop-in replacements to Intel CPUs. Half of the struggle isn't making high-performance CPUs, it's making people buy them.

It's confusing because it's supposed to be.
    Last edited by angrypie; 17 June 2020, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    AF is not an official suffix by AMD. They refreshed some first gen Ryzen processors on a 12nm node. If I remember correctly it's basically second gen chips but with lower clocks.
    They didn't differentiate these "new" processors in any way so community created AF suffix and even some e-shop accepted it and sell them with that name.
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• novhack
    replied
    Not sure the AF really counts, since that seems to be more of a stepping identifier? (Like B3, G0 was for the legendary Q6600 back in the days of Core 2)
    AF is not an official suffix by AMD. They refreshed some first gen Ryzen processors on a 12nm node. If I remember correctly it's basically second gen chips but with lower clocks.
    They didn't differentiate these "new" processors in any way so community created AF suffix and even some e-shop accepted it and sell them with that name.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    This is literally what intel has been doing for half a decade now. Hear ye, hear ye! Announcing our NewLake processors! They are the exact same uarch as OldLake, same process node as OldLake, same gfx as OldLake, but clock is 100 Mhz faster! Innovation!! Upgrade now for only $499!!
    Except Intel would call it the 4000X series instead of just adding a T...
    AMD is being frontal: minor name change for minor actual change, and the MSRP is the same...
    If you want it, good. If not, just pick up the older parts that are cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    AMD is not that far with their suffixes count: U, H, HS, G, E, GE, X, XT, WX, AF (unofficial), ...
    Not sure the AF really counts, since that seems to be more of a stepping identifier? (Like B3, G0 was for the legendary Q6600 back in the days of Core 2)

Originally posted by Me
    ...but both Intel and AMD seem to be pretty poor at it from a consumer standpoint...

I wasn't saying AMD were innocent. Both sides really need to clean up their naming schemes for consumers.

I remember when AMD release the Radeon 5000 series (that induced EyeFinity to the world, and nVidia scrambled around to bodge "Surround" together across SLI... the six (mini)-DisplayPort 5870 card could have been called the "5876" which would have actually made some sense. They went with "5870 EyeFinity 6 Edition", which was a bit of a mouthful.

To be fair, if we strip out mobile and "HEDT" grade CPUs, AMD fairs somewhat better with just no-letter, X and XT... while Intel still has no-letter, F, K, KF, KFC, KS, and T. Ah, but I forgot the APUs, with that, so valid point. AMD still has G and GE as well.

Anyway, both companies are somewhat lacking at sensible, consumer friendly naming schemes.

edit: what are the naming schemes for Epyc? Just four digits I think? Intel has Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum on top of the four digit identifier. But I don't usually worry too much about Xeon chips, 'cause I can't afford them.
    Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 17 June 2020, 05:31 AM. Reason: Added another thought.

Leave a comment:

• NotMine999
    replied
    Originally posted by ms178 View Post
    A totally unexciting launch, B550 should have been released last year already. Besides, 4% faster XT CPUs for the original price isn't what I would call exciting either. Wake me up when AM5 arrives.
    I was waiting to see some poster say something lame like "I'll just wait for...." but this post by ms178 will do.

Leave a comment:

• novhack
    replied
    E, F, H, HK, K, KF, KFC, KS, T, TE, X, XE suffixes...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X