Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
    LOL
    6700k (4.0-4.2Ghz) -> 7700k (4.2-4.5Ghz)
    8700k (3.7-4.7Ghz) -> 8086k (4.0-5.0Ghz)
    9900k (3.6-5.0Ghz) -> 9900KS(4.0-5.0Ghz)
    You can check ark.
    Ok, they call the 7700k kaby lake, but no one ever proved any difference at all from skylake, it is the same core (maybe improved mem controller or IO)
    There's more
    2500K (3.3-3.7GHz) -> 2550K (3.4-3.8GHz)
    2600K (3.4-3.8GHz) -> 2700K (3.5-3.9GHz)
    4670K (3.4-3.8GHz) -> 4690K (3.5-3.9GHz)
    4770K (3.5-3.9GHz) -> 4790K (4.0-4.4GHz)
    Last edited by numacross; 16 June 2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

First they promised unlocked processors and that they will not be like Intel. We bought their platform B*50. Now they sell locked processors without even the TurboBoost unlocked. Is this a scam or not, is it worth to go to courts or not?

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
        First they promised unlocked processors and that they will not be like Intel. We bought their platform B*50. Now they sell locked processors without even the TurboBoost unlocked. Is this a scam or not, is it worth to go to courts or not?
        As far as I know the only locked parts are the Pro variants that are for OEMs only anyway. Please expand on what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

As far as I know the only locked parts are the Pro variants that are for OEMs only anyway. Please expand on what you mean.
          Zen 2 is all locked with an AutoOC +200Mhz. Unlocked means an AutoOC_Max at least.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

Zen 2 is all locked with an AutoOC +200Mhz. Unlocked means an AutoOC_Max at least.
            Why even argue about tubo boost for an unlocked CPU? If you don't want to mess with clocks and voltages, you can just enable PBO. There are countless articles on how to do it.

Comment

The fact people complain about the XT line is kind of reassuring, because it means people now have a lot more expectations for AMD.

Besides this, as already stated in this thread, Intel has been doing this kind of upgrade with each new gen for years, advertising each release like it was a big step forward, and always needing a new motherboard.

The difference is that AMD is being honest about their product, and it runs on older motherboards. Aside from this, AMD is also pushing for real innovations, like PCIe 4 adoption. Intel could have brought such new things to the table all these years, but they didn't.

Added to the fact that Ryzen CPUs aren't the security mess that Intel CPUs are, you can consider that the 4% single core improvement will probably end up being a real game changer in several weeks, as more failures are being unveiled and mitigated.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                I really don't understand the point of this release. An extra 100-200 MHz ST boost clock is hardly worth a new SKU, IMO.
                I think the key thing to keep in mind here is that there's no downside. It's free for AMD to do this, they're just binning better chips these days.

So the main upside is they get a bit of marketing and excitement around 7/7 when it releases - it's obvious they're targeting the original Zen 2 launch date as part of that, so their marketing can talk about Zen 2 in general. All the tech sites will run reviews talking about how AMD is still clobbering Intel a year after the initial release.

On top of that, they get slightly better pricing from new chips + not bundling coolers anymore, and they get slightly better single-threaded benchmark comparisons over the next few months vs Intel's new lineup.

All very minor things, but again the key thing to remember is that there's no reason not to do this because it's essentially free. So they may as well play it smart and get all the little benefits they can while they have the advantage.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 16 June 2020, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                  I really don't understand the point of this release. An extra 100-200 MHz ST boost clock is hardly worth a new SKU, IMO.
                  200 mhz is enough to fend off recently released new generation of intel cpus

Comment

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
                    LOL
                    6700k (4.0-4.2Ghz) -> 7700k (4.2-4.5Ghz)
                    8700k (3.7-4.7Ghz) -> 8086k (4.0-5.0Ghz)
                    9900k (3.6-5.0Ghz) -> 9900KS(4.0-5.0Ghz)
                    You can check ark.
                    Ok, they call the 7700k kaby lake, but no one ever proved any difference at all from skylake, it is the same core (maybe improved mem controller or IO)
                    I'm not sure what Intel does with their chips has anything to do with AMD in this case? I just said I don't understand going through the trouble for these new SKUs, especially with the Zen 3 launch so close. You still have to do engineering and testing to ensure the chips are reliable at these speeds, you need to update your AGESA code for motherboard vendors, need to spin up new packaging and support documentation, get stock distributed in your channels, etc... It's not super trivial to do this.

What I'm hoping is that the XT chips can boost more threads at higher speeds than the current chips. For example, a 3900X typically only has 1 core capable of reaching 4.6 GHz. However if a 3900XT has 2 or 3 cores capable of achieving 4.7 GHz - that's pretty big.

Comment

Originally posted by pstglia View Post
                      After XT will they launch AT series?

I'm getting old
                      And what after that? ATX, DT or &T? *giggles*

Comment

Working...
                      X