Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    i just wish they would add gpu in every processor
    I wish they would sell the AMD Athlon and similiar small apus with ECC on....I can not find any Pro on the market. If someone has a hint I would be delighted.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      What a mess the processor lineup of AMD had become ...
      Yeah I agree totally. And on the gpu side it’s even worse... their marketing team is really lame.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
        I disagree. Comparing this move to Intel's endless recycling of Skylake doesn't really make much sense because Intel has been passing off those releases as new generations for many years because there was absolutely zero actual progress in terms of their architecture. On the other hand, Ryzen 3000 is approximately a year old. AMD is not marketing this as a great new generation and we all expect Ryzen 4000 this year. This product exists because it is easy and the manufacturing process allows it. It is more comparable to some anniversary edition or Intel's i7 8086 Special Edition thingy. Also, this is obviously not meant as an upgrade to current Ryzen 3000 owners. If anything, they are giving new customers 200 extra Mhz because they can. So, relax
        You make an excellent point. While this is a small incremental improvement, it is being marketed exactly as that. It's a far more honest approach than Intel's. Agree 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          I wish they would sell the AMD Athlon and similiar small apus with ECC on....I can not find any Pro on the market. If someone has a hint I would be delighted.
          Personally I would prefer a real server chip. Right now AMD has a gap in their server lineup. There are no Zen parts that replace the Opteron 4000 series. As a refresher, Opteron 4000 was a proper 2P server chip, socketed, ECC, and with SKUs in the 35w to 95w TDP range. Athlon/Ryzen are not server chips. EPYC 3000 competes in this TDP range, but it's an embedded processor more akin to Opteron 3000 series. EPYC 7000 is only in much higher TDP brackets. That said, the marketing names leave a curious opening, that I hope they will soon fill: EPYC 5000 series anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
            I really don't understand the point of this release. An extra 100-200 MHz ST boost clock is hardly worth a new SKU, IMO. Unless the all-core boost is significantly higher (but I doubt it is, since base clocks hardly moved).

Maybe they were just trying to come up with some new product to help drive B550 motherboard sales?
            They were binning processors and found out that enough can handle XT speeds so they are releasing a new product slightly faster at higher price.

They are releasing a slightly faster processor because it puts AMD in the lead in enough benchmarks that it will boost sales significantly.

Zen 3 is not releasing this year. <-- I would put my money on this one.

Comment

I stopped following the news on new CPUs ~5 years ago, I'll just buy the newest version when it's time to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                Personally I would prefer a real server chip. Right now AMD has a gap in their server lineup. There are no Zen parts that replace the Opteron 4000 series. As a refresher, Opteron 4000 was a proper 2P server chip, socketed, ECC, and with SKUs in the 35w to 95w TDP range. Athlon/Ryzen are not server chips. EPYC 3000 competes in this TDP range, but it's an embedded processor more akin to Opteron 3000 series. EPYC 7000 is only in much higher TDP brackets. That said, the marketing names leave a curious opening, that I hope they will soon fill: EPYC 5000 series anyone?
                YES!!! EPYC 5000! That is what I really wanted. But at a low TDP of 35W to 45W. I could seriously make use of IPMI without a GPU embedded in a socketed processor. Perhaps even have the same performance as my Ryzen 3 2200G but at a low power consumption for a server. And I have no need for a gaming motherboard for a server with red LED lights in motherboard...

Comment

AMD to Intel: "Put your mouth on the curb!"

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Since Ryzen Pro was sold only to OEM's, your best bet is to purchase a pull from eBay.

Another option would be to see if there is a system integrator in town who can buy in OEM quantities and see if they will sell you one.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

YES!!! EPYC 5000! That is what I really wanted. But at a low TDP of 35W to 45W. I could seriously make use of IPMI without a GPU embedded in a socketed processor. Perhaps even have the same performance as my Ryzen 3 2200G but at a low power consumption for a server. And I have no need for a gaming motherboard for a server with red LED lights in motherboard...
                      Since the movement in enterprise & cloud datacenters is to reduce socket counts AMD went for the sweet spot (1P with multi-core)so Epyc could get established.

Comment

Working...
                      X