Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 3 3300X vs. Intel Core i3 10100 In 350+ Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X vs. Intel Core i3 10100 In 350+ Benchmarks

Following our Intel Core i5 10600K and Core i9 10900K Linux benchmarks, here is a look at the lowest-end Core "Comet Lake" processor in the form of the Core i3 10100. Thanks to the increased pressure from AMD Ryzen, Intel now has a 4 core / 8 thread Core i3 processor at less than $150 USD. Here is a head-to-head matchup of the AMD Ryzen 3 3300X and Intel Core i3 10100 processors in more than 350 benchmarks while also looking at the power and thermal efficiency in this largest comparison to date for these low-end desktop CPUs.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But the i3-10100 has just a 6MB cache and is still a 14nm part with PCI Express 7.0 unlike the 7nm PCIe 4.0 Zen 2 processors.
    Guessing it does not have PCI Express 7.0.

Comment

3300x is stronger but the i3 10100 is a better "all around", since it has and integrated GPU the 3300x is lacking.
      They are not, IMHO, in the same segment: the 3300x is better suited for gamers and "enthusiasts" which want to keep price low due to missing GPU and the unlocked multiplier.
      At the moment a product like i3 10100 has no real competition, because AMD 3200G and 3400G are old Zen+, and 4x00 APU series is still away from being commercial.

A note about power drainage: the AMD chipset X570 is known to consume a bunch of watts more than predecessors and competition, B550 and B450 would possibly make numbers a bit more comparable.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
        Yeah, it's amazing. And the spec for 6.0 isn't even finalized, yet!

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
          3300x is stronger but the i3 10100 is a better "all around", since it has and integrated GPU the 3300x is lacking.
          That entirely depends on what you want it for. If you're already planning to use a dGPU, then the i3's integrated GPU is essentially irrelevant. I'm actually panning to use one on a server board with a BMC, which puts me in effectively the same boat as the dGPU crowd.

The one blemish on the 3300X is its poor power-efficiency. In this regard, it really deviates from its low/mid-range Ryzen 3k brethren.

A note about power drainage: the AMD chipset X570 is known to consume a bunch of watts more than predecessors and competition, B550 and B450 would possibly make numbers a bit more comparable.
          Good point, although at least he's not using a PCIe 4.0 GPU.
          Last edited by coder; 12 June 2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

They are not, IMHO, in the same segment: the 3300x is better suited for gamers and "enthusiasts" which want to keep price low due to missing GPU and the unlocked multiplier.
            At the moment a product like i3 10100 has no real competition, because AMD 3200G and 3400G are old Zen+, and 4x00 APU series is still away from being commercial.

Indeed. Both should be tested in low end mobos, since that is what the majority of them will end with. BUT, the i3 was also tested in a high end chipset, so keep that in mind.

And you got a point about the integrated GPU. The price-performance advantage of the 3300x will be lost if you include even the cheapest card.

Comment

Great review, Michael. I like the format of the review being a summary of the tests with some commentary while the full data is available elsewhere. As much as some of us love completeness, blow-by-blow commentary on 300+ tests just doesn't add much to what you did here, so it was wise of you not to do it. The data's there for anyone who wants to sift through it. Thumbs up!

Comment

At the moment a product like i3 10100 has no real competition, because AMD 3200G and 3400G are old Zen+, and 4x00 APU series is still away from being commercial
                Yes, I think the 4300G or 4100G will likely end up being more appealing products and a more appropriate competitor to the i3 "20".
                Good point. Though, I haven't yet seen wattage results for B550 or A520. I'm pretty curious how those hold up, because to my recollection, they still support PCIe 4.0.

Comment

Probably just me (throw the stones gently), but given the performance of the Intel CPU with iGPU and it's lower power... makes you wonder if Intel gets its act together and does 10nm or less, might it spell trouble for AMD? Granted it seems to be a big "if" for Intel right now.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post

UGHHHH!!! Report the rest of the typos please; this is annoying.

Come on, the rest are boring. You've found the best and most funny typo.

Comment

Working...
                    X