No announcement yet.

Intel Announces Jim Keller's Departure, Other Leadership Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would love to see him back at AMD, but they appear to going in the right direction even without his input. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done his job at Intel, with a new architecture and he's decided to move on. He pretty much did the same thing with AMD. If thats the case we could be seeing Intels next gen CPU's next year.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Man, can you turn off reasoning when you want to. Jim worked for AMD and that only prevented him from joining Intel for a couple of years. Do you see a reason AMD will need Jim back in the next two years? No? Then why infer Intel hired him to prevent anything?
      Man, you can ignore things I already went over when you want to. I'm not repeating myself.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Interesting...
        Back when Intel first poached him, I don't think they actually really wanted him for themselves, they just wanted him to stop helping AMD. They probably paid him to just bounce some ideas off of and sign a no-compete clause, but otherwise had no intention to actually use his skills; Intel clearly hasn't used him for any of the CPUs they've released in the past 2 years, and it seems their next overhaul of an architecture was pretty much already figured out by the time they got him.
        So, now he's probably like "y'know what? I don't feel like sitting here and do nothing. I'm out of here. Let me know if you actually care about my opinion".
        This is various levels of bullshit, he has an history of just doing what he needed to do somewhat quickly and then changing company, did the same with AMD, with Tesla (which was his last employer, so the statement "wanted him to stop helping AMD" is just wrong), and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          I don't want to dismiss your point of view out of hand but my experience with big corporation in entirely different industries by the way, mirrors what Schmidtbag has to say. In a nut shell: if somebody that is obviously smart is hired, you will have people (usually not too smart) undermining his every move. I've seen this multiple times so maybe my perspective is skewed. He might not have been hired to be a figure head but I expect that he was constantly bumping heads to get anything done.
          Not sure how this is relevant, this is constant everywhere. I don't see how AMD, Tesla and whatever his older jobs the management was less of a useless drag on everything.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
            I would love to see him back at AMD, but they appear to going in the right direction even without his input. I wouldn't be surprised if he's done his job at Intel, with a new architecture and he's decided to move on. He pretty much did the same thing with AMD. If thats the case we could be seeing Intels next gen CPU's next year.
            Yeah that's what I'm suspecting, the same "but he left too soon, it must sure mean something has gone bad" voices started chirping even when he left AMD.
            Intel's CPU design team isn't in so bad shape as AMD's was, their main problem is process node (manufacturing) and QA, not pure CPU design.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

11:59: Intel is entering the GPU market! They'll displace both AMD and NVIDIA!
              12:00: Oh you see it's an entry level GPU for developers nothing to see here

(The RX 550 does exist though, and anyone in the market for a low-end GPU and half of a brain would buy it instead of Intel.)
              They've announced they're going to make more powerful GPUs as well. They even showed off the chip for some high end GPU (probably GPGPU for supercomputers/data centers).

I don't get why you're so angry.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                This is various levels of bullshit, he has an history of just doing what he needed to do somewhat quickly and then changing company, did the same with AMD, with Tesla (which was his last employer, so the statement "wanted him to stop helping AMD" is just wrong), and so on.
                I was wondering when you were going to show up - you're late! Pretty much the moment I clicked post, I was expecting you to be the first to respond with "bullshit". I'm disappointed. Especially seeing as you're not the first, second, or even third person to mention him working to Tesla.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

They've announced they're going to make more powerful GPUs as well. They even showed off the chip for some high end GPU (probably GPGPU for supercomputers/data centers).

I agree, some people just get angry because they are impatient and Intel doesn't want to compete with a RTX 3080 Ti at first. Let's wait and see what they are going to deliver in the mid-range and high-end segment, but they need to earn the respect of the community in the GPU arena first (and DG1 wasn't meant to be the vehicle for that). And it took AMD three iterations of Zen to get earn a good reputation in the CPU market again. How long will it take for Intel in the GPU market? I guess even Raja doesn't know the answer to that question yet.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

He must keep true to his nickname

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      I was wondering when you were going to show up - you're late!
                      It does not matter, what matters is that I'm here, with you, now.

Comment

Working...
                      X