Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    and sign a no-compete clause
    Not going to get into the discussion of the other pieces of your comments much, but this part at least is easy: noncompete clauses are illegal under CA law (despite employers still asking me to sign contracts that included them for years after that, so perhaps "unenforceable" is the more correct term).

I certainly wouldn't be SURPRISED if Intel had enough petty politics going on that he got sick of it: like wizard69, I've been in enough corporations to see that at work, every time, and especially so if you're the guy hired to try to and fix the clusterfuck that the rest of the current staff made in the first place. To them, you ARE the enemy, and the amount of backstabbing and deceit that goes on can be exhausting. But, none of us know for sure, so that's all just noise.

igxqrrl is certainly correct in saying that 2 years isn't long enough to actually have anything more than a glancing impact at best on chips that are being made right now. Whether he had any impact on upcoming ones is something we'll have to wait and see for, but now that he's left I suspect he's unlikely to get any credit for that even if so.

Comment

I don't know Jim Keller. But I do know large companies.

Jim used to work for 2 very hungry, very agile companies, where ones expertise is carried heavily in everything they do.

Then he goes and works for a very large company. Large companies are driven by waterfall processes and committees and layers of decision makers. Scope, funding, architecture reviews, competing projects and of course, lots and lots of internal politics.

So what do you think? If I was brought in because I knew how to get things done and was thrown into a world where I had 10% of the design authority I had previously and still had to argue with the bean counters as well as the other internal experts just to support my 10% of effort, I would probably quit too. It's just not worth it and most of all, its no fun.

I hope Mr. Keller finds something really fun to work on.

Comment

With the timelag inherent in processor development, we likely won't see anything that Keller was working on for at least a year or two yet.

If forum conjecture cannot be rebutted without insider information, then if you have that information it is best to stay silent.

This does seem rather sudden, however. Even with six months of consulting, or whatever you want to call it.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Interesting...
          Back when Intel first poached him, I don't think they actually really wanted him for themselves, they just wanted him to stop helping AMD.
          As pointed out, Keller started working for Tesla after completing his job at AMD on the Zen project development.

Comment

I had high hopes that Keller would simplify and modernize the X86 design getting rid of cruft there. Where does he go next?

Comment

Nuvia?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                Where does he go next?
                I bet Huawei, Hygon, etc. want what he could do for them in the worst way, but the real answer is 'where does he want to go', I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

I bet Huawei, Hygon, etc. want what he could do for them in the worst way, but the real answer is 'where does he want to go', I suspect.
                  Too far away from California. Maybe he joins Nuvia to revolutionize the data center once more with high performance ARM cores. It would suprise me if he went for IBM to further their POWER agenda. But that would be a new ISA for him to learn, maybe that is a motivation? (I consider that to be unlikely but I am curious which challenge he would like to take).
                  Last edited by ms178; 12 June 2020, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    I had high hopes that Keller would simplify and modernize the X86 design getting rid of cruft there. Where does he go next?
                    maybe he tried and just ended up banging his head against multiple brickwalls. Afaik intel work environment wiht blue and green badged 2 class system is rather toxic. Maybe he got mobbed because of his former AMD position....

Comment

How it is strange! What happens in the BUG company!
                      Last edited by Azrael5; 12 June 2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X