Arm Announces Cortex-A78, Cortex-X Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numacross View Post

ARM now has both efficiency (A78) and performance (X1) flagships. The transistor count increases, but the overall size decreases (for A78 compared to A77 by 15%) while still improving performance because of the 5nm manufacturing process.
    On the same process, Cortex-A78 is 7% faster, uses 4% less power and is 5% smaller. So on the same process perf/Watt is ~11% better and perf/area is ~12% better. So with enough effort you can improve all 3 at the same time.

I'd be very sceptical about a performance projection based on PR materials. When X1 comes out in a real product it might have to compete with whatever is after Tiger Lake for Intel, AMD Zen 3 and the next Apple core. Architectural reveals are always exciting, but it takes a while for real benchmarks of the final products
    The AnandTech article mentions explicitly that previous performance projections turned out accurate. It should be next year for the first products indeed, and yes it will be very interesting I am sure!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      The only demand for RISC-V in the visible future is in closed proprietary embedded devices, if at all. As much as I'd like to see a completely open RISC-V commodity board in a standard PC form factor (e.g. ATX) I think this is a pipe dream and it will never ever materialize. A laptop based on the same is even further out.

The potential is there, but the market demand isn't. Maybe a one-off amateur grade kickstarter or something like that. The demand is lower than commodity Power boards (aka Talos & AmigaOne), so I would expect the per-board cost to come in quite a bit higher. Would you pay $2750 for a totally open commodity RISC-V board? Yeah, me neither. Turns out its actually quite expensive to design and build a motherboard, regardless of which CPU type goes into it.
      Sad but true.

It's awesome for educational purposes at the moment though. I've been looking at https://github.com/black-parrot/black-parrot recently. I would love to see something like a RISC-V based Argon Wi-Fi Development Board https://store.particle.io/products/argon . Baby steps I guess xD

Comment

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post

I'm just mentioning the PR rationale behind these moves. I mean whatever they do, they always tout it as an improvement. Whether the cache goes up or down, well... you guessed it: It's always an improvement
        Anything that a for-profit company ever does is an improvement of some sort. Performance, efficiency or cost. Always; otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.
        Last edited by intelfx; 26 May 2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Anything that a for-profit company ever does is an improvement of some sort. Performance, efficiency or cost. Always; otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.
          Obviously, but imagine this scenario: You launch the exact same cpu every 3 months and you alternate between 32kb and 64kb l1 cache.

Q1 2020: We've got the cache to 32kb from 64kb cache and improved our product (efficiency)
          Q2 2020: We've got the cache to 64kb from 32kb cache and improved our product (performance)
          Q3 2020: We've got the cache to 32kb from 64kb cache and improved our product (efficiency)
          Q4 2020: We've got the cache to 64kb from 32kb cache and improved our product (performance)
          "2020 has been a year of continuous improvements in terms of both efficiency and performance for our product!!!"

Comment

The first CXC processor is the Cortex-X1 that aims to deliver up to 30% better peak performance over previous Cortex-X CPUs.
            That should be pretty easy considering it's the first, beating nothing by 30% is no goal at all. I'm sure they'll succeed in the design with such goals.

Comment

Originally posted by xception View Post

That should be pretty easy considering it's the first, beating nothing by 30% is no goal at all. I'm sure they'll succeed in the design with such goals.
              The First Annual Stupid Statement party tonight not at my place!

It is a nonsensical statement, I agree.
              Hi

Comment

Working...
              X