AMD Energy Driver Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.8 For Core/Package Power Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Energy Driver Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.8 For Core/Package Power Sensors

Phoronix: AMD Energy Driver Queued Ahead Of Linux 5.8 For Core/Package Power Sensors

Landing this weekend in hwmon-next ahead of the upcoming Linux 5.8 kernel cycle is the recently reported on "amd_energy" driver for supporting AMD Zen/Zen2 core and package energy sensors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At last, something that is so obvious is added to Linux. This is the issue compare to Windows with Linux that the support is better for MS. Those small steps can make people who use MS to migrate to Linux world. The more the better.

Comment

Note that this is the same developer that wrote it87. Maybe there is some hope to ask him very very politely to continue it. He probably got tired of ***hles but not all of us are like that.

Comment

What's a "power sensor" anyway? I'm on kernel 5.6 and I'm getting all the readings I need, which is voltage and current, both for core and SOC. Power is simply just voltage multiplied by current so it's not really missing. Not complaining, because I'm pretty sure it was thanks to this same dev that I have access to those readings to begin with, but I fail to see the usefulness of this latest stuff, unless something got lost in translation and this work isn't what I think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxim Levitsky View Post
          Note that this is the same developer that wrote it87.
          The committer, the author is a developer from AMD.

Comment

I've been using zenpower when I want to see power numbers: https://github.com/ocerman/zenpower
            A caveat is that you can't load zenpower and k10temp at the same time. Does this new driver play nicer with k10temp?

Comment

The amd_energy driver is just over 400 lines of new code. Google engineers wrote this driver based on public AMD data sheets concerning the relevant MSRs. The numbers are reported via sysfs for those interested.
              As PuckPoltergeist mentioned, the engineer who wrote this (Naveen) seems to work for AMD. It seems unlikely that a Google engineer would use AMD copyrights on their new code. Michael can you double-check ?
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
                At last, something that is so obvious is added to Linux. This is the issue compare to Windows with Linux that the support is better for MS. Those small steps can make people who use MS to migrate to Linux world. The more the better.
                Correction, the AMD support for Linux needs to improve. Intel finishes this Linux support months before public hardware release to consumers.

Comment

Hallelujah! This is something AMD should have done itself when Zen was released.

Comment

Working...
                  X