Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sensor Fusion Hub Support Is Not Coming With Linux 5.8

Phoronix: AMD Sensor Fusion Hub Support Is Not Coming With Linux 5.8

For those AMD Ryzen laptop users eager to see the Sensor Fusion Hub driver for supporting the different hardware sensors on these AMD Zen laptops, that driver still isn't going to be merged for the upcoming Linux 5.8 cycle even after the patches were first published months ago...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Waiting for the next Intel engineer that reviews the AMD code to reply: "TL,DR" like the earlier Intel engineer did.

I actually read the first page or two or three of the code review that I cite. I see a number of comments included, so the snark from the Intel reviewer, while looking cute, is completely unprofessional and disrespectful towards the original submitter IMHO. So much "Code of Conduct" in Linux development, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      Waiting for the next Intel engineer that reviews the AMD code to reply: "TL,DR" like the earlier Intel engineer did.

I actually read the first page or two or three of the code review that I cite. I see a number of comments included, so the snark from the Intel reviewer, while looking cute, is completely unprofessional and disrespectful towards the original submitter IMHO. So much "Code of Conduct" in Linux development, eh?
      I think that was meant just as a short summary of his thoughts. And I cannot see something offensive or disrespectful at all in it.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
        Even if you didn't like their review, that person isn't the maintainer of that subsystem, so it's not like they are the ones truly blocking it being merged. The idea that there is some Intel-based conspiracy to block only this specific series by AMD is pretty hilarious.

The fact that AMD has not sent another update for this patch series in several months now (v4 was posted in February) is the real problem.

Comment

AMD with software support on Linux

Comment

Why does AMD continues to be so disappointing with their Linux support?

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              AMD with software support on Linux
              How does that relate to this sensor driver. It's not like the OS needs to know temperature anyway, all fans are controlled by BIOS since 5+ years ago

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

I think that was meant just as a short summary of his thoughts. And I cannot see something offensive or disrespectful at all in it.
                It's very disrespectful, especially in a professional context. It's not constructive in any possible way. It doesn't offer any suggestions on what is wrong, or how improvements could be made.

Imagine going to a coworker and saying "Hey, I just finished drafting up the plans for this project, could you review for any potential problems and suggest improvements" and then he replies "You asked me for a review, well here it is: It's bad, try again". That is literally what that Intel engineer did. It doesn't help anyone, and it's just him purposely trying to be a jerk.
                How does that relate to this sensor driver. It's not like the OS needs to know temperature anyway, all fans are controlled by BIOS since 5+ years ago
                There are other sensors besides temperature. There are orientation, accelerometer, compass, and many other sensors that utilize the sensor fusion hub.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                  It's very disrespectful, especially in a professional context. It's not constructive in any possible way. It doesn't offer any suggestions on what is wrong, or how improvements could be made.

Imagine going to a coworker and saying "Hey, I just finished drafting up the plans for this project, could you review for any potential problems and suggest improvements" and then he replies "You asked me for a review, well here it is: It's bad, try again". That is literally what that Intel engineer did. It doesn't help anyone, and it's just him purposely trying to be a jerk.

There are other sensors besides temperature. There are orientation, accelerometer, compass, and many other sensors that utilize the sensor fusion hub.
                  Well, I got my own fair share of work experience (and had to deal with some eccentric people along that way) hence I disagree with that judgment, it was a short summary of: "There is a lot more work to do." And I see nothing wrong with his phrasing, you need to communicate negative feedback somehow and I see no reason for sugarcoating the fact that he regards that work as insufficient. I have also seen far harsher language being used on the LKML, I wouldn't consider this to come anywhere near that.

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanLocomotive View Post
                    This is still nothing that relates a picture of a turtle with AMD hardware.

That said, I haven't seen a whole lot of convertible 2x1 AMD laptop/tablets yet, and I know of A LOT of Intel ones where the orientation/accelerometer isn't supported either.

Comment

Working...
                    X