Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Volleys New Sandy Bridge CPU Microcode

Phoronix: Intel Volleys New Sandy Bridge CPU Microcode

For reasons currently unknown, Intel released new CPU microcode on Wednesday for their Sandy Bridge processors...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-SNB-CPU-Micro

Thank for the info! Sandy Bridge still works very well for everyday use, this is a good news that is still so well supported.
    I will wait for your benchmarks, hoping no performances issue with this update...

Comment

Originally posted by Axl_Mas View Post
      I will wait for your benchmarks, hoping no performances issue with this update...
      You can most certainly bet on performance issues, as this non-transparent binary crap even does this for Skylake with certain workloads. I need to boot Linux without intel-ucode to achieve the same JavaScript performance in Firefox as on Windows, despite of setting mitigations=off.
      Yes, it's really that craptacular what Intel does on Linux.

Comment

Probably more performance mitigations ...

Comment

could it have to do with the recent attacks on supercomputers like the SuperMUC in Munich?

Comment

Figures. My current main laptop is a Sandy Bridge i3 (as soon as I find an IdeaPad 7 14" with a Ryzen 4800u available that'll change). Hopefully this doesn't cripple an already aging laptop even more than the spinning rust drive already does.

Comment

What about ivy bridge? I've upgraded my personal laptop from sandy bridge myself, as the Intel HD 3000 is borderline unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                You can most certainly bet on performance issues, as this non-transparent binary crap even does this for Skylake with certain workloads. I need to boot Linux without intel-ucode to achieve the same JavaScript performance in Firefox as on Windows, despite of setting mitigations=off.
                Yes, it's really that craptacular what Intel does on Linux.
                I wonder what sort of seriously bloated JavaScript you are trying to run....

Comment

Great ..... more slowdowns.My wifes FX 8350 is going to end up faster soon.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
                    Great ..... more slowdowns.My wifes FX 8350 is going to end up faster soon.
                    Still a perfectly decent and usable machine IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X