No announcement yet.

100+ Linux Benchmarks Between The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U vs. Intel Core i7 1065G7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100+ Linux Benchmarks Between The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U vs. Intel Core i7 1065G7

Phoronix: 100+ Linux Benchmarks Between The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U vs. Intel Core i7 1065G7

This week I began benchmarking the AMD Ryzen 7 4700U on Linux using the new Lenovo IdeaPad featuring this new Zen 2 "Renoir" APU. The initial CPU benchmarks were quite positive as were the Vega graphics comparison tests. Amid other follow-up articles for AMD Renoir Linux support/performance, for your weekend viewing pleasure are a large set of data points between the Ryzen 7 4700U up against the Intel Core i7 1065G7 "Ice Lake" processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Left a tip as my appreciation.

Cheers

Comment

AMD 4000-series APU seems to perform great even the U-models.
      I got an 2500U and haven't decided yet if i will update to an 4X00U APU or if i will wait for 5X00U since i think i will also update once there is a better GPU in the APU.

Comment

These results seem very unusual.

Anandtech has recently reviewed two laptops with the same CPUs as in this article and according to them the 4700U is only modestly faster in multi-core scenarios and almost always loses to the Core i7 1065G7 in single threaded scenarios.

It would be great if Michael triple checked that the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 (14) laptop contains a 15W TDP CPU, not a 25W version which would make the whole comparison skewed.

Another possible reason why Windows and Linux results are different is that these system could manage power consumption and constraints differently.

Comment

That was the 3700U, a last gen CPU. Even the worst 4000 series mobile smashes any Ice Lake CPU. Intel 10nm is less efficient than 14++++, just denser and no way near TSMC's 7nm power savings.

PS: Insert here the "This is not even my final form meme".

Comment

May I ask why the AMD was tested with "ondemand" cpu governor, while the intel one had "powersave"?

EDIT (since I still see likes coming): This is normal,it's only different wording in the intel PState driver. See official kernel doc https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.6...el_pstate.html - now I do believe this is the only correct way to do the benchmark and is not a mistake. Sorry for the ignorance, but as an AMD user I wasn't familiar with the intel driver.
            Last edited by maxximino; 17 May 2020, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxximino View Post
              May I ask why the AMD was tested with "ondemand" cpu governor, while the intel one had "powersave"?
              That is the default of each CPU based on CPUFreq/Pstate.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
                That was the 3700U, a last gen CPU. Even the worst 4000 series mobile smashes any Ice Lake CPU. Intel 10nm is less efficient than 14++++, just denser and no way near TSMC's 7nm power savings.

PS: Insert here the "This is not even my final form meme".
                That was the 4700U and you may want to check your vision.

Comment

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
                  That was the 3700U, a last gen CPU.
                  No, this is Renoir: 4000 series.

Comment

4 Core against 8 Core, well... What would we expect?
                    Still, AMD has the much better offering currently and i am currently waiting for me 4700U powered Laptop to be shipped and delivered

Comment

Working...
                    X