100+ Linux Benchmarks Between The AMD Ryzen 7 4700U vs. Intel Core i7 1065G7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

That was the 4700U and you may want to check your vision.
    You are talking about the Acer Swift 3 review. I just read it. They benchmark mostly single threaded browser/javascript stuff and they are all a tie, PCMark is owned by intel and mostly single threaded and the ice lake chip still loses/ties. The multi-threaded tests the Ice lake ships dont get even close (that is the power efficiency that I was talking about). GPU tests show a large win for the 4700u.
    SPEC2017 shows a great benchmark for the intel chip, however, real world workloads are showing very different figures as shown in this article, and Anandtech's.
    Intel has a good core, but atm a bad node, this will probably change with tigerlake having a new node and new core.

Comment

These results seem very unusual.

Anandtech has recently reviewed two laptops with the same CPUs as in this article and according to them the 4700U is only modestly faster in multi-core scenarios and almost always loses to the Core i7 1065G7 in single threaded scenarios.

It would be great if Michael triple checked that the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 (14) laptop contains a 15W TDP CPU, not a 25W version which would make the whole comparison skewed.

Another possible reason why Windows and Linux results are different is that these system could manage power consumption and constraints differently.
      The Acer Swift 3 is not precisely a great laptop in terms of thermals for what I have seen, and that can make a big difference. The Lenovo Ideapad 5 (both 14" and 15") does definitely have a 15W TDP CPU because, well, all 4700U are 15W.

Comment

Originally posted by maxximino View Post
        May I ask why the AMD was tested with "ondemand" cpu governor, while the intel one had "powersave"?
        The Intel P-State driver does not work on AMD CPUs (they use CPUFreq instead)

The "powersave" governor on Intel P-State is equivalent to "ondemand" on CPUFreq. Yep, they have no real power-save governor.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilHowl View Post

The Acer Swift 3 is not precisely a great laptop in terms of thermals for what I have seen, and that can make a big difference. The Lenovo Ideapad 5 (both 14" and 15") does definitely have a 15W TDP CPU because, well, all 4700U are 15W.
          The 4700U can be configured to use between 10W to 25W by the vendor.

Comment

AMD begs to differ: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-4700u cTDP: 10-25W ("c" stands for configurable).

Why can't AMD fans spend literally 10 seconds googling for "Ryzen 4700U specs" and instead simply choose to lie?

Comment

AMD begs to differ: https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-7-4700u cTDP: 10-25W ("c" stands for configurable).

Why can't AMD fans spend literally 10 seconds googling for "Ryzen 4700U specs" and instead simply choose to lie?
              Why can't Intel fans spend literally 10 seconds googling for "Acer Swift 3 4700U" and instead simply choose to lie?

Acer Swift 3 SF314-4200:01 - My feedback08:55 - Crysis 3Cool & quiet, good keyboard, good screen, great battery life and great gaming capabilities (specially...

First Youtube benchmark I've found. CPU is clearly capped at 18W. Not 25W. You don't have to be so rude.

Comment

The Lenovo Ideapad 5 (both 14" and 15") does definitely have a 15W TDP CPU because, well, all 4700U are 15W.
                First Youtube benchmark I've found. CPU is clearly capped at 18W. Not 25W. You don't have to be so rude.
                Huh. Well OK then.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Huh. Well OK then.
                  Remember, TDP≠Power consumption.

Comment

Anandtech has recently reviewed two laptops with the same CPUs as in this article and according to them the 4700U is only modestly faster in multi-core scenarios and almost always loses to the Core i7 1065G7 in single threaded scenarios.

It would be great if Michael triple checked that the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 (14) laptop contains a 15W TDP CPU, not a 25W version which would make the whole comparison skewed.

Another possible reason why Windows and Linux results are different is that these system could manage power consumption and constraints differently.
                    I cannot find this comparison article.. Can you link it? Thx

Comment

Or maybe these results are normal and the review you're talking about is just another case of Benchmarks Rigged^W Sponsored by Intel™...?

Comment

Working...
                      X