Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Posts Patches Allowing AMD Zen/Zen2 CPUs To Expose Power Usage On Linux Via RAPL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zan Lynx
    replied
    Originally posted by holunder View Post
    I hope, this will make the power consumption lower with forthcoming patches. I have a wall meter here and the idle power consumption of my 3700X is obscenely higher than in Windows. Newest arch kernels, of course. I get ~80 W idle here AT BEST (RX 5700 XT + ROG Strix X570-E Gaming) – normally it’s around 100 W. Whereas under Windows, it goes as low as 65 W. That’s downright embarrassing for a company selling server chips.
    I have to wonder about that. You've got all the new BIOS updates? And did you overclock anything?

I've got Linux on a 1700X running in a x370 board with six HDDS, two SSDs and a M.2 NVMe drive and it idles at 55W, measured by the UPS.

If your Linux is running hotter than Windows is, maybe you've got a driver or such that is reclocking your hardware. Or maybe the Windows drivers are doing something with the PCIe clocks, because I've read that PCIe Gen 4 does run a lot hotter than Gen3. I haven't noticed that on my 3900X system since it's got a Vega 56, so no Gen4.

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

well, we have our choice of CPU governers!

Code:
    conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
    Personally I use

Code:
    echo conservative | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    schedutil does a good job too.
    It is already set to schedutil, conservative doesn’t change a thing.

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post

-Try powertop and go two-three tabs on the right... then make everything "good" except perhaps the mouse.
    -Try echo powersave > /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy
    -Try echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
    Already did Powertop. Besides from some annoying problems this causes, no significant difference.
    And I’ve had this excess in power consumption between Linux and Windows with a Radeon RX 580 too, it’s not the AMDGPU driver for the RX 5700 XT causing this (tested with light GPU load on Windows too).
    But thank you both guys for your help, seriously.

I actually think, it’s AMD not getting their powerstates fully upstreamed.
    Last edited by holunder; 16 May 2020, 05:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    AMD has an extremely poor track record with managing and retaining software talent. Whoever has been in charge of that is holding them back, and that's a big part of why they are losing outright in machine learning, why the best drivers for their hardware are usually written by third parties.

Please, AMD, just spin some cash into a skunkworks, and keep firing whoever's in charge of it until it starts bearing fruit; it's not that hard.

Leave a comment:

• _Alex_
    replied
    I hope, this will make the power consumption lower with forthcoming patches. I have a wall meter here and the idle power consumption of my 3700X is obscenely higher than in Windows. Newest arch kernels, of course. I get ~80 W idle here AT BEST (RX 5700 XT + ROG Strix X570-E Gaming) – normally it’s around 100 W. Whereas under Windows, it goes as low as 65 W. That’s downright embarrassing for a company selling server chips.
    -Try conservative governor, as mentioned.
    -Try powertop and go two-three tabs on the right... then make everything "good" except perhaps the mouse.
    -Try echo powersave > /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy
    -Try echo low > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    well, we have our choice of CPU governers!

Code:
    conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance schedutil
    Personally I use

Code:
    echo conservative | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    schedutil does a good job too.

Leave a comment:

• atmartens
    replied
    Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
    This is just embarrassing...
    The whole point of supporting the free software movement is that AMD can focus on building the hardware, and the community can help contribute to the software. This is win-win. Why wouldn't AMD be glad that Google is helping them?

Leave a comment:

• ThoreauHD
    replied
    This is just embarrassing. And now they can't support agesa code on pre-500 series AM4 MB's. Their software dev really went sideways when they shut down their German software team.

AMD has the hardware and net profit margins now. They need to unfk this 3rd world software dev they have going on. That is now AMD's achilles heel, next to their Chinese production exposure.

Leave a comment:

• holunder
    replied

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by fuzz View Post
    Interesting this was contributed by a Google engineer.
    IMHO, the company using AMD GPUs and CPUs for their streaming game service having a vested interest in ensuring said AMD hardware works properly isn't as interesting as it is obvious.
    Last edited by skeevy420; 16 May 2020, 10:34 AM. Reason: forgot to put an r in streaming...lol

Leave a comment:

• S.Pam
    replied
    Lets hope they can start it back up again

Leave a comment:

Working...
X